Wounded

A/n: Art above done by ArlYTen.

A blue diamond floated in front of her. There was nothing else around; the background was pitch black, leaving the blue diamond, perfectly carved, to glow brightly.

No, not a diamond. An Emerald. The thought came to her as if someone had put it there.

Then, as she stared at the Emerald, red bloomed from the top downwards, drenching the blue. Red. Blood. Blood was covering the Emerald.

A sense of dread filled her so completely and (Y/n) startled awake, instantly seeking out her guardian, standing watch at the door.

"I think I had a vision," the (a/t) said. "I mean, it was so strange, and it sort of felt like a warning."

"It is quite possible," Tikal responded, surprising the immune. "My masters may be trying to warn you of something to come. What was in your vision?"

"Well, it was a blue Emerald, which is strange, because I thought emeralds were supposed to be green." She shrugged. "And then it was suddenly covered in blood."

"That sounds like a Chaos Emerald," Tikal mused. "And blood? Perhaps that is referencing Silver's ghost. Without knowing context, however, I'm not sure what the vision is trying to warn you about."

"Maybe Silver has a Chaos Emerald?" (Y/n) suggested. "How would he have gotten one, though? He's been locked up since the day the apocalypse started."

"I do not know. But we need to tread lightly. This vision is not something to be disregarded." (Y/n) nodded. Tikal was right; the (a/t) couldn't shake her lingering sense of dread.

Something was going to happen, and someone was trying to warn her.

She headed out where the Chaotix were preparing breakfast. Charmy was attempting to help from the floor, handing Vector pans and other ingredients. Espio was at one of the barstools, one hand resting on his chest, the other supporting his head. (Y/n) took a seat beside him, placing her hand gently on his arm. He opened his eyes, meeting her gaze with a weak smile.

"How are you feeling?" she asked softly. It had been several days since his rescue, and he'd regained mobility, though he was easily fatigued and slept even less than before due to gruesome nightmares. She wasn't sure she could cure him of those; in his case, time would have to heal his wounds.

"I'm alright," he murmured. "I could use some fresh air."

"Do you want to walk down to Silver's cell with me?" Both for the fresh air and because she didn't want to be alone. Just the company might chase away that dreadful feeling.

"I'd like that," he said. "And I would like a chance to thank him in person."

"I think I can make that happen," she assured him. She turned to the others. "Business as usual?"

"You know it," Vector responded. "The groups are starting to get smaller and few and far between. Think the last people brave enough to evacuate their old Zones are coming to an end."

"It's bittersweet," Charmy said. "That we won't have to do the crossings anymore, but also that this is it. All the people left."

"I'm sure there are others," (Y/n) said. "Rouge mentioned bunkers in the Burning Zone, and there are messengers from the Assassination Zone to bring supplies to the other Zones. The world is surviving, unlikely as it seems." The bee smiled.

"I know," he chirped. "And it's because of you!"

She laughed. "Not all because of me," she said. "I mean, I'm not athletic at all. I figured that out when I ran crossings with you guys." She nudged Espio gently. "Not like him. I'd probably still be laying on the couch if I'd come that close to death."