Spirit

A/n: Back to you, if that's confusing. Get a little sneak peek into the other zones here, too.

And to those who want Shadow to make his appearance, don't worry, he will.

But are you sure you want him to appear...?

"That's fine," (Y/n) assured Sonic as he ran 'slow' laps around the cell in his spirit form. "You can go a little faster, actually." He did so and she took level breaths through her nose, eyes closed in concentration.

It had been about a week since she'd first pulled Sonic out and she'd been working tirelessly to strengthen her spirit. She couldn't spend all her time in the frozen zone when the burning and assassination zones still needed her help. But Sonic was as good a Mobian to practice with as any.

It was working, too. She'd held Sonic for a whole afternoon once and she always came in in mornings, Tikal forcing the ghost into submission while she pulled Sonic out.

Needless to say, they'd gotten to know each other really well and seemed to enjoy each other's company. Sonic was ever the gentle one with her, seemingly getting used to being slow around her.

Now she was letting him run around because she was getting more confident in her skills. Soon, he was zipping around the room, and (Y/n) kept taking her measured breaths to hold him there.

Not too hard.

"You good?" Sonic put his hands on her shoulders suddenly. She startled and he stepped back. "Sorry."

"I was fine," she said. She shook her head. "Don't scare me like that. I might drop it."

"Sorry," the hedgehog said again.

"How are you feeling?"

"Amazing! All the time, now," he said. "You are a true miracle, (Y/n), you know that?" He sat down in front of her. "So, now that you can hold me for longer periods of time, what's next?"

"Now, it's figuring out how to fully rid you of the ghost," she said. "For you to have mobility, two spirits have to be occupying your body because you're technically dead. So...in order for you to be alone in your body, you need to be physically and spiritually alive."

"So...how do we do that?"

"I've been working on that with Tikal. Bringing someone back to life is essentially impossible-" Sonic's ears lowered, "-but also becoming the living dead should be impossible, too." She reached out, putting her hand over his. "What we've come up with so far is that you need to somehow purify yourself, like me. However, since you're a renowned hero, you've probably had almost a lifetime of hardships and darkness. I think...I think it has something to do with my own immunity."

Sonic looked up at her, one ear twitching curiously. "What do you mean by that?"

"I mean, I was sent here for a reason," she said. "But all I've been able to do is pull you out of your body and give you a bit of hope. I was given my immunity for a reason. I was given a spirit guardian for a reason. And to be honest, if I've noticed anything about the ghosts and monsters, it's that I haven't been keeping them away, it's been Tikal. So...I was thinking that maybe my immunity wasn't meant for me, it was meant for you."

Sonic tilted his head before realization dawned on his face. "So, you think you can somehow pass your immunity to me? So that I can somehow fight off the ghost myself?"

(Y/n) nodded. "Tikal," she called. "Can you give us a rundown on ghost possession? Has anyone who's been possessed by a ghost been able to fight it off?"