3.4 'I Heard You Today'

Emily VanCamp as Sharon Carter

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Cap, hands in his pockets, followed me through the hallways of the swanky looking retirement home SHIELD had gotten Peggy set up in. When I stopped at her door, his entire demeanour screamed nerves but I sent him a coaxing smile. He tried a wobbly one in return and I chuckled under my breath, knocking on the door before opening it.

Peggy Carter, old and frail, was sat up slightly in bed. Her eyes opened, bright and alert despite her age and a broad smile spread across her face. "Oh, Isabelle Stark, how wonderful it is to see you."

"Hey, Aunt Peggy," I smiled back, walking over to her and planting a kiss on her wrinkled cheek.

She grasped my hands in hers, grinning up at me. "How have you been, little one?"

"Well, thank you."

"Look at you, all grown up," She fussed. "Have you found yourself a partner yet? Any children?"

"No," I laughed awkwardly. "No children."

"With your genetics, you really must pass them on. Your father was hesitant to have children but look at how you and Tony turned out." She cooed.

"I know," I reassured. "But no children for me yet. Peggy, I've brought someone to see you."

She looked up at me in puzzlement before realisation dawned across her face and her gaze fell to the movement in the doorway. Steve, hands still in the pockets of his leather coat, smiled down at his old friend. "Hello, Peggy."

She gasped, glancing between the two of us before smiling kindly at me. "You finally got him to come see me."

I nodded. "I did, sorry it took so long."

Standing, I backed up toward the door, Steve walking around the side of her bed and taking the chair already set up next to her. Peggy stared at him in amazement and adoration, clearly, the two would have become something more given the chance. I was okay with that, it was adorable to see. But I wanted that too. And if it couldn't be with Steve, I had to protect myself and move on.

The elderly lady frowned at me. "Where are you going?"

"Steve wants to talk to you," I explained gently, giving him a supporting smile. "I'm going to wait downstairs. It was good seeing you, Peggy."

...

When Steve joined me by his bike in the parking lot, he was frowning. "You didn't tell me her Alzheimers was that bad?"

"I just spoke with the nurse," I explained. "She said Peggy is deteriorating quickly now. But I knew you could handle yourself. Was it bad?"

"With a disease like that, it's always bad."

"I meant for you," I pressed gently.

He swung his leg over the leather seat of his bike and I climbed on behind him. "You warned me, and I said I was ready. I don't think I could have prepared myself any better than I did, and it was still hard."

"Of course," My chin touched his shoulder as I pressed myself to him, the bike starting to life beneath us.

"There's somewhere else I want to go," He said.

The Veteran's Affairs Office was not where I thought he'd take us. It was easy to navigate away from the main building where a heap of people were walking in and out of, to the small hall off to the right. A small sign indicated 'VA Meetings' inside and Steve held open the heavy-looking wooden door like the perfect gentleman he was.