2.1 'Nice Haircut'

Nick Fury played by Samuel L. Jackson

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Jackie, Ariana and I ground against each other with no particular sense of rhythm at all as the club base music thumped in our ears. The pre-show for the New York Fashion Week had gone off without a hitch and my two besties and I were in full party mode as the first party of the week kicked off. For the next seven or so days every major fashion house from all over the world will be presenting their seasonal wear and my friends and I would be strutting along that runway until our blisters have blisters. It's one of the most exhausting time of the year and also the best.

It was February, the first show of the year. Trudy had informed me that I'd be modelling in all four shows that would occur during the next month.

"Izzy?!" Ari yelled into my ear. "I think your phones going off!"

Pulling the S.H.I.E.L.D. phone from the back pocket of my fake-denim Ralph Lauren shorts, I saw Fury's name flashing at me on the screen. Pressing the piece in my ear, his voice came through the microphone as I pushed and shoved my way downstairs into the foyer, which was deadly silent compared to the raucous upstairs.

"Director Fury."

"Miss Stark, I apologise for the interruption, I know it's your month off."

I sighed, knowing it was not going to be my month off. "What's happened?"

"We're calling everyone in, we need you to bring him in. Agent Romanoff's got Banner, Agent Coulson's got your brother, all we need is you." He sighed over the line. "I'm sorry to do this to you but you might want to think about cancelling your plans."

"We'll see."

"Meet you at base."

...

Finding him wasn't hard, I'd been assigned to him and kept tabs on his whereabouts. Every time I'd go to see him, to check up, the next day he'd be gone. Tonight he'd broken into a closed boxing ring and I found him beating the shit out of a worn-out bag. Walking in silently, as I was carrying my heels, I leant against one of the columns and watched his anger and frustration with the world amount until he'd split the bag open, the sand spilling all over the floor as the chain it was hanging from snapped clean.

"Now what did that bag ever do to you?" Surprised, Steve jumped slightly, meeting my laughing gaze. Scowling, he turned and picked up one of the many bags waiting patiently in a line on the floor and hung it on the hook only to begin beating it again. "Why are you cooped up in here? You should be out celebrating, seeing the world."

He finally gave up, my talking too much of a distraction, unwrapping his hands and taking a seat at the bench beside his punching bags. "When I went under, the world was at war..."

Moving off the column I strutted my way toward him, his gaze flickering from my eyes to my hips before quickly looking away, a slight blush creeping across those cute cheeks. "Here let me help you with that." I gently took his large hand in both of mine, which could nearly dwarf both together and began unwrapping them.

"...when I woke up they say we won, they didn't say what we'd lost." He finishes, looking into my eyes. "You look nice, where have you just come from?"

"Pre-show party."

"That's what you do during your month off? Or at least, I thought you were taking a month off?" He asked quizzically.

"Fury called me back in, something's gone down and I'm here to bring you in too." I sent him a small smile as I finished unwrapping his hands and then pulled a document out of my clutch. "Someone's taken the Tesseract."