1.6 'Not Bloody Likely'

Maria Stark played by Hope Davis

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Tony!" I had waited until I was certain Stane had gone before rushing over to my pale, sweaty brother. His breath was deep and laboured like he couldn't get enough air. His wide eyes flickered to me. "It's okay, I'm here, it's okay, I'm not going to let anything happen to you."

Wrapping his arm around my shoulders, I tried to lift all him up but he was dead weight and I wasn't strong enough. "Argggghhhh!" I yelled in frustration, slumping back onto the lounge. There was no way I could move him.

"Izz..." Tony groaned, slightly able to turn his head towards me. "Reactor...downstairs."

"I know, that's where I'm trying to take you but I'm not strong enough!" I cried desperately.

"No...old...reactor..." I barely heard it but then it clicked. The parcel Peps had delivered.

Racing down the stairs into the garage, the shiny arc reactor stood in its proud glass casket. Smashing it on the floor, I snatch up the reactor and run back upstairs, connecting it into the socket in my brother's chest.

He gave a huge gulp of air and the reactor started glowing, already he seemed to have picked up. The front door upstairs opened. "Tony?! Izzy!"

"Down here!" I called and Rhodes thumped down the stairs.

"Are you both alright?"

"Yeah, we're fine," Tony grumbled, gripping on to the desk and hoisting himself up. "Where's Pepper?"

"She's with that Coulson guy, he and his men are on their way over to arrest Obadiah."

I made eye contact with my brother and we both had the same thought. "It's not going to be enough."

Rhodes stood jaw to the floor while Tony got into his suit, the metal practically gleaming. "Anything else you need me to do, you two?"

"Keep the skies clear," He turned to me, holding out an arm. "You ready?"

Smirking, I easily manipulated the air around me to float in the air. "I was born ready."

He scowled, turning away from me and flew through the hole in the roof he'd created when he decided to fall through it. With a final salute to Rhodes, I flew through the hole, following my brother. The night was chilly but the skies were clear of planes and it was an easy flight.

"How long do you think that reactor's going to last?" I yell above the wind.

Tony's helmet turned toward me. "I'm only on forty-eight percent power."

"Well, you'll just have to make do then."

We approached Stark Industries to find Stane in a replica of the suit Tony had escaped with, one of his own modified arm guns aimed at Pepper. "Stane!" My brother crash-tackled him sending them both through the next warehouse and onto the busy road.

"Pepper!" I gracefully landed beside her shocked form. "Are you alright? Are you hurt?!"

"No, no, I'm fine," She mumbled, watching after the boys before looking back at me. "Isabelle, I want you to do something for me, alright? I need you to protect your brother, watch his back for me, will you?"

Smiling, I nodded. "Of course, now get out of here."

"Not bloody likely."

Soaring over the building, Obadiah held a car full of people over Tony, ready to bring it . down on him. "No!" I was not yet as accomplished with air as I was with water and earth . and it took a lot of energy to lift the vehicle out of Stanes hands and place it safely back on the road a little further away from the fighting.