4.8 'What We Have To'

Wanda Maximoff played by Elizabeth Olsen

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The Cradle exploded beside me and I was thrown sideways by the force, Thor catching me and we slid across the tiled floor. The body inside floated out of the Cradle, rising to crouch on the edge. It was made out of a patchwork of organic material and vibranium, its skin red anywhere there wasn't metal. The gem glowed yellow in the centre of its forehead, as it lifted its face to look at all of us.

The others moved into defensive positions around the room, watching as the body unfurled. The body was a vibranium-based android with male characteristics, his body tall and lean as he surveyed us. Thor raised his hand as Steve stepped toward me.

The android caught Steve's movement and stared at the captain, eyes roaming over his suit. Its own body began to change from red to a dark grey, except for its face and hands. Thor leant his hammer on one of the desks and stepped towards the android, whose attention returned to the god. "Thank you."

He eyed Thor's cape and a golden one appeared over his shoulders and down his back. "Thor?" Steve said uneasily, glancing between the newcomer and me.

The god cleared his throat. "I was having these flashes of visions, which is why I left. I needed to find out what they meant. I discovered a whirlpool that sucks in all hope of life and at its centre is that." He pointed to the stone embedded in the body's forehead, who lowered himself off the Cradle's edge onto the floor so he was level with us. "It's the Mind Stone, one of six Infinity Stones, the greatest power in the universe."

"Then why would you bring it to life?" Pietro frowned.

"Because Tony is right."

"Oh, it's definitely the end of times," Banner glanced between the god and my brother, who stood flabbergasted beside his workbench.

"The Avengers cannot defeat Ultron and Lady Stark is not yet ready to do it on her own."

I blanched. "Excuse me? Why am I suddenly taking on Ultron alone?"

"You're going to want to sit down for this," The android spoke for the first time, his eyes on me.

"You sound like Jarvis," Steve noted.

"Yeah, we configured Jarvis' matrix to create something new," Tony explained, moving toward the body and inspecting it.

"I think I've had my fill of new."

The android turned to Cap. "You think I'm a child of Ultron?"

"You're not?" Steve questioned. "He built you."

"I'm not Ultron," The body shook its head. "I am not Jarvis either, I am..."

"I looked into your head and I saw annihilation," Wanda said sceptically.

"Look again."

Barton scoffed, appearing from the lab downstairs. "Her seal of approval means nothing to me."

Thor gestured in the direction of the twins. "Their powers, the horrors in our heads, Ultron himself, they all came from the Mind Stone and they are nothing compared to what it can unleash."

"The Mind Stone was in the sceptre?" I asked, staring at the glowing yellow gem, still feeling an unsettling pull towards it. "How do we know if it's on our side?" I looked into the android's eyes. "Are you on our side?"

It inclined his head. "I am on the side of life. Ultron isn't, he will end it all." The droid turned to face me. "Let's get back to explaining to a very confused Miss Stark how this has everything to do with her."