Testimony #12

Hindi naman ako iba sa inyo. Marami na rin akong pinagdaanang temptation. May mga bagay akong ginawa kahit pa man hindi iyon malinis sa harap ng Diyos. I admit it but I am not proud of it. Yet, by the grace of God nakawala ako sa pagkakagapos ko mula sa kasalanan. At ngayon, I am able (and bold enough) to share this to you so that you will also be enlightened and corrected.

Before ako naging Christian, I was involved in adultery—dirty talks at 'yong paggawa ng magkasintahan sa mga bagay na pang-asawa lamang. I say this again, this is to make you aware of the reality. Marami kasing magkasintahan ngayon na ginagawa ang mga bagay na pang-asawa lamang which is kasalanan iyon at marumi sa harap ng Diyos. But let's just focus to what I went through to avoid judging them na rin.

Going back, akala ko for fun lang ang dirty talks kasi partner ko naman 'yong nakakausap ko. And he was also willing to joke back and talk about that stuff. Unknowingly, 'yong mga isip namin ay hindi na pala maganda. Siguro sa part ko it was plainly a joke, pero baka sa partner ko iba na pala. Sineryoso niya. Doon pa lang, nagkasala na kami pareho sa Diyos.

There was also a time of my life when I had an "unofficial partner". Meaning, hindi naman kami but we had an intimate relationship. Kahit Christian na ako noon, nadala pa rin ako sa bugso ng damdamin. We sinned against God. We didn't s** ha? Just to inform you hahaha. Hindi lang talaga tama ang mga ginagawa namin during that courting stage.

During that season, my heart was convicted not to have a romantic relationship with that guy. God was telling me "No" but I kept saying to myself "baka puwede naman?" God gave me a lot of warning signs but I was in doubt whether to follow Him or just follow my selfish desires. But at the same time, palagi kong pinagdarasal na "Lord, sana hindi kami magkita ngayon." Pumupunta kasi siya sa bahay namin kasama pinsan niya na kaibigan ko rin. I was allowing him, to make him feel "welcomed" sa family and sa life ko.

Isang araw, hindi na siya nagparamdam. You know what's my love language? It's prayer. I always prayed for that guy na sana okay lang siya, safe siya at masaya siya. Days and weeks passed until I decided to let go of that feeling. To just surrender it all to God and I remembered I was actually praying to God that He will remove that guy out of my life because he was no longer healthy for me and for my relationship with Him. And by the grace of God, I was completely removed from his life and he was also totally removed from my life. But I'm not saying it was easy. IT WAS PAINFUL AND HEART-WRECKING. It took me couple of days or maybe weeks to accept that he was not the one yet. And I am so glad I didn't force that relationship. I was restored back to God and my heart was fully committed to Him again.

I am not telling you this to shame Christianity or Christian people in general. Wala namang perfect sa atin. Christian or not. Born again or not. Catholic or INC. Lahat tayo ay nagkakasala. Wala sa atin ang excempted sa temptation. Because even Jesus was tempted by the evil.

And that's the truth! PERO, we should not use this to justify our wrongdoings saying "si Jesus nga tinempt ni Satanas, ang tao pa kaya?" Yes, Jesus was tempted BUT He never sinned. And if we will say "hindi Siya na-tempt kasi Diyos Siya at makapangyarihan," folks, remember that Jesus was also hundred percent man. But this is the confidence that we have in Christ Jesus. Because Jesus knew how it feels to be tempted because He Himself experienced it, He will also help us overcome the temptation. His grace is sufficient for our weakness. Kaya hindi natin masasabi na God cannot relate to us human beings kasi naging tao rin naman si Jesus. Kaya nga sabi Niya, "watch and pray so you will not fall into temptation. For the Spirit is willing but the flesh is weak."

Sa kahit na anong paraan puwede tayong ma-tempt. Ang lahat ng bagay ay puwedeng magamit ni Satan para tayo ay magkasala at malayo sa Diyos. Puwedeng gamitin ni Satan ang family natin para sa hidwaan or para tayo ay i-condemn.

But you know what I learned in my past experiences? Kaya naman nating iwasan ang temptation. Kaya nating ma-overcome. Ang tanong: ARE WE WILLING TO FIGHT BACK? Are we giving our best to flee from temptation?

I don't know what's going on in your life right now. Hindi ko alam kung saan ka nagstruggle. Sa pag-aaral, sa family, sa sexual immorality, addiction and even sa pornography. But I want you to know that there is always hope in Jesus. Why don't we surrender that to God? Marami kasi sa ating nag-iisip na hindi natin kaya, hindi natin kayang bitawan ang kasalanan and we can't say "no" to temptation. That's a lie! Hindi totoo na hindi mo kaya. Well basically, hindi mo talaga kaya kung walang guidance at help ni Jesus. But if we fully surrender it all to God, and we have this fear of hurting Him, magugulat nalang tayo one day nakawala na tayo sa ganoong kasalanan. And as we look back, masasabi nalang natin na "Thank you, Lord, for never giving up on me."

Tip 1: Always pray.

Prayer works. When we are tempted, let us pray and ask God to give us strength to overcome the temptation. At dapat willing din tayong iwan ang bagay na 'yon. Hindi puwedeng pray lang tayo pero 'yong heart natin willing pa rin to do the same sin.

There were times that I was tempted to say hurtful words to other people. But in my heart, ayokong nakakasakit ako ng damdamin. Kaya naman when that happens, I pause and pray to God to give me strength na macontrol ko ang bibig ko. Mahirap ng bawiin 'yon kung nasabi ko na. It could tear people down.

Tip 2: Divert your attention

What usually makes you sin? What are the things that lead you to sinning?

For example we are tempted to watch pornography. Ang dapat nating gawin, i-divert natin ang ating atensyon. Instead na manood, magbasa nalang tayo ng magazines, libro, articles or other stuff na di naman din malalaswa. Better yet, magbasa tayo ng bible. Kasi 'yang ganyang bagay, it's Satan's scheme na tayo ay magkasala. Sinusulsol niya sa isipan natin na mas maganda manood ng pornography kesa sa magbasa ng bible. O kaya mag-aral tayo. I-review natin 'yong past or 'yong future lessons. Whatever it is, basta lang ay hindi tayo susunod sa kagustuhan ng ating flesh. Puwede rin namang gawin natin 'yong hobbies natin. Painting, drawing, dancing or singing.

Tip 3: Search for bible verses about overcoming temptation

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

Malaking tulong sa atin na tayo ay may pinanghahawakang salita ng Diyos. Ito ay nagsisilbing panagang at sandata natin.

Common yet powerful verses about temptation:

1 Corinthians 10:13

No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.

Matthew 6:13

"And do not bring us into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one."

1 John 2:1-2

"My little children, I am writing you these things so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father – Jesus Christ the righteous one. He himself is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours, but also for those of the whole world." (CSB)

The good news is that even if we are not perfect, Jesus is! Siya ang tutulong sa atin upang mapagtagumpayan natin ang anumang pagsubok na darating sa buhay natin. We just have to humble our hearts before God and admit that we cannot do it alone. That is why we need God's strength. We need God's power and grace.

2 Corinthians 12:9

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

By the grace of God, I did it. I made it out. And the same grace, the same God will also help you and bring you out of that struggle. Kaya mo kasi may Diyos. I pray that you will fully commit yourself to Jesus. Jesus is the only hope. He is the light and the salvation. He is the way, the truth and the life. Without Jesus, wala tayong magagawa. We need Him. We desperately need Jesus in our lives.

To God be all the glory forever!