Chapter 2

Minutes after my dad had left, I walked over to my dresser and started folding some of my clothes and putting them away into the drawers. Suddenly the door flew open and came in a beautiful girl, around the same age as me, maybe a year older, with light brown hair that was kissed by the sun and dazzling hazel eyes.

"Hey you must be my roommate." She smiled, struggling to carry three cardboard boxes all at once. I walked over to her and took the top one off and set it down on her bed.

"Yeah." I smiled. She had this aura about her that calmed you. It was weird but I liked it.

"Thanks," she said, dropping the other two boxes carelessly onto her bed. She stuck her hand to introduce herself, "Angie Tyler." She smiled. I returned the smile and grasped her thin hand in mine.

"Braydon."

"Braydon what?" Angie questioned, raising an eyebrow.

"Braydon Smith."

"Got a middle name?" she asked.

"Yeah but it's really weird. My parents got married there so they thought it would be a good idea to name their only daughter after the state." I babbled.

"Which would be..." I was clearly boring her with my story and I don't even know why I suddenly decided to tell it to her, I just get nervous talking to people. I'm not that socially confident.

"Alaska, Braydon Alaska Smith." I said as I shot her a smile.

"That's got a nice ring to it."

+++

We had spent maybe the last 2 hours getting to know each other, telling each other random stuff about us that nobody would ever think of asking.

Angie was so cool. She was a perfect image of who I wanted to be when I was younger. That girl that everyone loved, she was hilarious, was naturally beautiful and had a boyfriend. She moved to California from New York when she was 16 because her dad had a job transfer and had been living here for the past 5 years. There were about four or five tiny tattoos scattered across her arms and I felt like asking what they meant, but decided against it.

We were currently in the bathroom, I was sitting on the counter edge while she did her makeup. There were a few minutes left before we were going to leave to get to our first period class. Angie was studying art so she wasn't going to be in any of my classes.

"Do you want me to walk you to your first class?" Angie asked, walking out of the bathroom and into the main room. I jumped off of the counter and followed her into our room and sat down on my bed.

"That would be great, thank you." I grabbed my bag and dug out my schedule form inside. I handed it to Angie and she scanned over it.

"Alright, ok, you've got creative writing first and then you've got nothing until lunch and after lunch you've got reading and literature. Those two classes aren't too far apart so you're lucky." she said, handing me back my schedule and picking up her bag.

"Ok I think I've got it," I looked over my classes for today and judging by the room numbers it seemed as they were just down the hall from one another. "Thank you so much Angie." I smiled.

"No problem Bray. We're roommates which automatically makes us best friends and I can guarantee you that you've got a friend in me." Angie said while placing a hand on my shoulder. She pulled me in for a hug as she wrapped her arms around my neck and I wrapped mine around her waist.

"We should probably get going. My first class starts soon." I said, pulling away from her grasp. She nodded and walked to the front door, opening it and then closing it after me. We walked out of our complex and started to make our way to the main building when Angie got a text.