19

MAKE SURE YOU READ PART 1 OF THE DOUBLE UPDATE!

Aven Brooks

I open the doors to my dark bedroom, the moonlight leaking in through the balcony. The room is cleaned up from earlier, bed made, vanity cleaned up, floor sparkling in its polish.

2:30 am.

I toss my clutch on the chair, walking over to my bed. I sit down on the edge, doubling over to unzip my leather boots and kick them away. I fall back on the bed to stare at the tall ceiling.

My hands dig under my dress to feel the holster holding a knife and a spare cigarette. I pull out the cigarette and perch it between my lips, sitting back up in need of something to light the end. I stand up, now in bare feet. Walking over to the vanity, I find a pack of matches tucked in the corner. Cigarette sitting between my red lips, I pull out a match and burn the end of the match head. The orange flame lights up my eyes as I bring the tip to the cigarette. I suck in the smoke as the end catches. The debris valleys my throat until I cough lightly a couple of times, waving the flame out of the burnt match before tossing it to the table.

I turn around to the far wall, moonlight leaking through the windows on this clear night. Smoking delicately, I gently trail over to the balcony door and open it up. A breeze blesses me so I step out on the stone terrace. Up to the railing, I fold my arms together and lean. My eyes overlook the entirety of our property; patio, pool house, garden, pool, forestry. We had so much land in our estate away from the city.

I leisurely smoke my cigarette, observing the quiet around me. The breeze makes me shut my eyes for a moment, blowing smoke into the brisk night air. Once the cigarette withers to ash, I toss it away while walking back inside.

I head towards the bathroom, flicking on the light and turning to the sink mirror. My eyes meet my reflection, knowing I had to take off all this makeup before I even think about going to sleep. God forbid the number of times I'm too drunk or high to do it most nights. My hair managed to stay proper in its tight ponytail.

I pull my eyes away from myself, looking down at the drawers and pulling one open to all my products. I shuffle for the makeup remover and cotton pads, running my hand back on top of my head while I do it. I place them on the counter and shut the drawer, looking back up into the mirror.

A chill of startle runs through me as I make sight with another pair of eyes behind me. Dark green eyes with distorted strands of hair blocking them. Purpling bruises haunt his hollowed sockets.

I flip around with my hand jumping to my holster but he's too quick to snap his hand around my wrist to stop me while using the other hand to slap over my mouth. My backside presses to the marble counter as his body mashes to mine, his hand contorting my arm behind my back in a tight clutch.

My eyes stare up into his, a devious smile curling up his lips. "What's wrong? Did I startle you?"

I use my free hand to shove him away, he playfully let's go and takes a few steps back. Dressed in black from head to toe, I gaze in shock that he's standing in my bathroom.

"What the fuck are you d—"

"Shh..." He brings his finger to his smirking lips. "No need to wake mommy and daddy."

I shake my head, dumbfounded.

"I knew you were here the other night!" I whisper shout.

He shrugs, intertwining his hands behind his back.

"And to think you'd lock your balcony door this time..."