26

this is part 2 of the double update!

Aven Brooks

The violins fill the most eccentric display of a wealthy atmosphere, mixing with a delicate piano and the background simmer of conversations. A sheer black dress hugs my body, a slit up the side. I sip my champagne gracefully, being careful not to smear my lipstick. The air smells fragrant of cherry blossoms from the field of them just steps outside the venue.

My eyes scan the room full of appeasing energy. Small white tables surround the open floor with candles lit at every single one. The ivory curtains mix with the arcing window pane that casts all the way up to the ceiling, you can see the night sky between the trees. The venue is perfect for my parents.

It's a warm night in May. You can hear the fountain through the open doors, smell it even. A posh event like this only is fitting for my best behaviour. I represent my family tonight, everyone is here on their behalf. I need to represent the perfect product they created. I'm not allowed to drink liquor or smoke. I'm lucky to have a glass of champagne. I sip with leisure, savouring it's every last drop.

Unfortunately, I'm not wearing the necklace.

I haven't gotten to speak to my parents yet, they've been so preoccupied with greeting all the guests. We arrived separately. I could catch my mother glimpsing at me from across the room, right at the place where the necklace should lay. I know she's confused as to why I'm not wearing it.

"Ms. Mariana stands alone at the bar yet again," Zayn walks up to me, a glass of whiskey in his hand.

"I'm hoping if I stand here long enough, the bartender will give me a pity drink,"

He stands in front of me in an all black suit, tailored to fit him perfectly and never a tie with it. He only ever does up half the buttons. His hair is slightly gelled but not slicked back, just waved out of his face enough for volume.

"Malikai's daughter has to be on her best behaviour tonight." He teases, subtly holding his whisky closer to me. "Here."

I look at the liquor, smirking.

"Really?"

"Don't make it obvious." He turns his head back and forth.

I take the crystal glass from his hand. Being shielded by his body to the rest of the room. I quickly toss back the drink in secret, my cheeks puffing before I swallow the rich burn.

He takes the glass back, pretending none of that happened while glancing side to side.

"Better?"

I nod, "much."

He turns to stand next to me with a slight lean, looking out at the rest of the room. His cologne fills the space around us.

"Not having fun?" He asks.

"I love getting hit on by men double my age, what do you mean?" I say in sarcasm.

"I'm sure there's some contenders in this room." He scans the area. "They're all brutally rich, too."

"Everyone in this room is brutally rich." I chuckle. "I'm brutally rich."

He smirks, watching the room.

"Do you have cigarettes on you?" I turn and ask.

He shakes his head. "Even if I did, I'm not allowed to give you one."

I roll my eyes, tossing back the rest of my champagne.

"Wonderful."

"Hey, I don't make the rules. It's not ladylike for you to smoke."