44

PART 1 OF 4-PART UPDATE

Aven Brooks

I don't know what it is, but when I opened my eyes this morning, I felt a sense of doom in my chest.

My father has been across the country on work-related business, my mother has entered wedding mode with planners, and Zayn has been off doing god knows what since the night of the proposal. I never actually know what he does in his spare time, considering he doesn't get any. I know my mother ends up roping him in with extra help; it wouldn't surprise me if he was picking out my wedding dress with her.

The morning after the proposal, I woke up to hundreds of white roses set up meticulously throughout the estate. My mother was ecstatic as they were from fiance. Though I wasn't sure when I would see Ambrose next, I couldn't help but wonder if it would be on my wedding day, walking down the aisle towards him.

This wedding is going to happen fast; I can't seem to wrap my head around it. It's been three days since the proposal, three chaotically lonely days. Teams of people have been coming in and out of the house, showing dresses and venues to me and my mother. Even though I'm involved in the process, I haven't gotten a say in pretty much anything. It's almost like I'm there just because, on paper, it's only right. Everyone is talking at me instead of to me.

Tonight, I'm going to see Harry. With my father gone and Zayn not around, it seems like a suitable time. My thoughts are consumed by him, but it's causing me heartbreak rather than joy. I'm at a loss of what to do and whether or not it's wise to see him right now. He's made it prevalent that he really wants to see me today, but he's left the decision up to me, and I've made up my mind to go.

All dressed and ready to sneak out of my balcony, I hear a knock at my door. My stomach flips as I race over to my vanity to sit and pretend I wasn't going anywhere. I thought my mother was asleep...

"Come in."

Zayn opens the door, the first time I've seen him in days. Dressed in his usual formal attire, he sticks his hands in his pockets. He looks me up and down, leaning in the doorway.

"You're up." He crosses one leg over the other.

"You're alive," I say back, combing my hair.

He looks at my outfit.

"I've been busy." He says shortly. "Going somewhere?"

"I was just about to change. The wedding planning is driving me mad." I clear my throat. "Aren't you going to congratulate me?"

"That's why I'm here. Let's go for a drive."

"Why?"

"In celebration of your engagement." He smiles and tilts his head.

Shit.

"I'm actually beat." I clear my throat.

"Oh, c'mon. Mariana never goes to sleep this early." He turns away, grabbing the door handle. "I'll be in the car waiting."

He shuts the door before I have a chance to respond. My head falls in my hands, knowing I can't get out of this without looking any more suspicious. He's right; I never go to bed at this time, let alone when I'm dressed up like I'm going somewhere. I have to play it safe and follow along.

Sitting in the driver's seat of a black convertible, Zayn patiently waits. He smiles as I get in the passenger seat, veering off as soon as the door shuts.

"Where are we going?"

"You need a drink after that engagement."

We're going to the city.