28

I'm nervous, Av.

We have almost everything we need to make the ransom video, we're just waiting on Liam to set stuff up. I'm really hoping we're making the right choice doing this. Trusting Niall's instincts isn't easy. I'm trying to remember this is your life we want to save. I just hope I don't make things worse. Louis' pretty hesitant about it all but he's going along with it. I'm hesitant too but something needs to be done and this is a step in the right direction.

Liam set up a red light in my room that turns on when Mei's restaurant gets a phone call. It's pretty annoying because she does get calls quite often. But once the store closes, I get almost nothing. I'm hoping you kept that number I gave you and maybe you'll use it. And if you do, I'll be able to run up and answer.

Okay, enough of the serious stuff. This journal is supposed to be fun for you to read.

The guys are planning to go to this party tomorrow with Dez and Scarlett. I think it's a stupid idea so I'm not going. Parties aren't as fun anymore when I don't drink. Not to be negative about my sobriety but I remember having a lot more fun when I was drunk or high or had you. Not only am I sober now, I don't have you. Maybe I'll come see you tomorrow but at the same time I should keep my distance until we make the ransom vid—"

Red light.

I turn my head from the journal, looking at the red glow in my dark bedroom. I launch up from my desk and race to the door. Swinging it open, everyones gone at the bar. I race up the stairs and into Mei's tiny office, hearing the landline ringing.

I snatch it off the hook.

"Hello?" I pant.

"You guys open?"

I hang up.

This probably isn't what Mei expected when I told her I'd man the late night phone calls to her business.

Phone ring.

"Hello?" I answer again within a second.

"I think my call dro—"

I hang up again on the same deep voice.

"Search it up online like everyone else." I sit down in the office chair and slouch back to look at the ceiling. Waiting by this phone every night is the most ridiculous thing I've ever done. Sprinting up that bloody staircase to answer a phone call that is never hers. At least it gives me an excuse to not sit with my drunk friends all night at Dez'.

Phone ring.

I pick it up and roll my eyes.

"We're closed!"

There's silence mixed with the sounds of muffled street noise.

"Why are you yelling at me?"

My heart drops at the voice I don't expect, I perk up in my seat.

"Aven?"

"I need you to meet me at the top floor of the New York Palace." She cuts right to the chase.

Aven.

A smile draws up my lips because she used the number I gave her. Meaning she held onto it.

"And how do you expect I just waltz into a multi-million dollar hotel and get up to the penthouse?"

"You seem to have no problem showing up at every other private affair of mine. I'm sure you'll figure this one out."

She hangs up.