46

PART 3 OF 4-PART UPDATE

Aven Brooks

The bathwater is cold—I think I've been in here too long.

Resting my cheek on my knee, I sit in the middle of the tub with an empty chest and a busy mind. It's been well over a week since everything happened, and I've had to pretend to be normal despite it all. It's not that I've not wanted to be normal; I'm trying my best. I don't want to feel the pain on repeat. I don't want to lay awake at night in regret. I want to carry on.

"Mariana, you need to get going." I hear Zayn on the other side of the bathroom door. I keep my knees curled to my chest, staring at the rim of the tub.

Zayn burned the pictures that night like he said he would, and we haven't spoken about it since.

"Mariana!" I hear him holler again.

The door opens.

"Would it kill you to answer so I know you haven't drowned?" Zayn stands with his hands on his hips.

"I'm getting out soon."

"You have an hour to get ready, and I know the makeup takes a while. We need to be in Manhatten for eleven."

I turn and reach for the drink on the ledge of the tub, taking a swig of the chilled liquor.

He walks up and turns the knob of the spout so the drain opens, pacing away.

"One hour." He shuts the door in exit.

Harry Styles

"Rise and shine..."

I feather my eyes open, light invading my pupils before they get to adjust. Blurry vision, I blink a few times until focusing on an angelic face above mine.

Noses almost touching and a weight on my hips, I adapt my sight up at the beautiful view of a woman straddling my hips and smiling at me. Her ocean-blue eyes are hard to draw away from in this radiant sunlight.

Aven.

I smile to myself and shut my eyes again, my hands grabbing her hips with a circle of my thumbs.

"What time is it?" I hum.

"Nine."

I open my eyes to realize how much warm light has leaked in from the right wall of windows overlooking the ocean. The volumes of rippling tides crash the sandy shoreline, bringing me to peace. The sun basks over the horizon on this perfect luminous day.

I feel so warm.

"Nine is early," I rasp.

"But I'm bored. Entertain me..." She runs her hands up my bare chest.

I smile to myself and stare down the length of her body. She's wearing nothing but a white lace bra and matching panties.

"And how would I do that?" I stare up at her straddling my hips. Her hands continue up and down my smooth chest.

She doesn't answer, but her eyes hold a world of mischief as she bends forward and meets my lips. I shut my eyes and smile from the contact, gripping her sides. She kisses me unhurriedly, savouring the moment.

When she draws back, I open my eyes again with a smile I can't rid. I blush at her with my head on the feather pillows. She gleams at me with the same tender grin.

"Something like that?" She whispers.

I gaze in silence, taking in her grace. The pink of her cheeks contrasts so angelically with her eyes. Those cherry-pink lips are carved by the heavens. I can kiss them all day.