Blood, sweat and tears

(y/n pov)

My eyes were half-lidded, and thick dust-filled in half of my face. I attempted to move from my grounded position but an immense pain shot through the lower part of my chest. I looked down and saw a large sharp piece of metal stuck just below my ribs. I screamed in agony and attempted to move again by sitting up when I hit my head on something. I wiped my eyes, being blurry from the dust in them, and looked at my surroundings before I realised, I was stuck underneath the debris of the tower.

I heard shouting and gunfire, one I noticed was Rick's colt python but it was quite faint. I laid my head back and tried to ignore the blood oozing out of my wound. "So... This is how it ends huh?" I say to myself. "After everything I've been through. Surviving a cannibalistic community, a building-wide explosion, and even a fucking tank. And I'm going to die from a piece of old metal jammed into my chest. Good job y/n." I salute myself "good fucking job".

I lay there contemplating what I should do. should I try and pull out the piece of metal again? Should I make noise to attract walkers to me so the others can get away? As I think of that last idea my hand brushes something to my side I turn my head as far as I can to see my pistol laying on the blood-soaked grass. I edge my fingers over the barrel of the gun and grip it pulling it closer to me until eventually, I had it in my grasp.

I examined it, the carvings on the side signifying the milestones I have overcome with this weapon. The first one means my first kill with it, the second one being my 'accuracy over speed achievement' or whatever Rick called it back at the prison. Then I thought of another idea. I looked into the chamber and saw a bullet, like a passenger in a car. That was when I contemplated it. I looked at the gun then laid my head back against the dusty ground, and pulled the weapon up to the side of my head.

Even if I do eventually get out of here and
deal with the walkers I'll just bleed to death, if I do this it's a quick and painless death. I close my eyes...

"We stay strong so they don't have to," Rick says as he leans on the chain fence. I asked him what it meant to be a leader to survive in these conditions, And like always his answers were vague. I stared at the contrast in the green courtyard in the middle of the dirty prison.

"But what if you can't take it and just crumble?" I ask hoping he won't give me another uninterpretable conclusion.

"You survive," he says quickly "you survive to keep your family alive, you survive until your skin is covered in blood, sweat and tears, you survive until you die. Never give up. Never give in. And most importantly." He turns to look at me and puts his hand on my shoulder.

"Don't be an idiot"

My eyes opened widely as I throw my pistol to the side, my breathing heavy and long. I sit up as far as I can to realise what I was about to do and almost throw up. I sit back down and think about Rick's words, how can I get out of this how can I survive. I look at the piece of metal again it's long and is Pinned between you the debris and the ground. The only way to get it out would be to pull it but there is no way I have enough strength for that. I pull it anyway and the metal slowly comes out before I feel my eyes getting blurry. I quickly let go and lay my head back how am I gonna get out of here?

I have an idea I thought near 5 minutes later, a pool of blood now starting to form around my back. It's a dumb idea but I can't think of anything else, I'm gonna have to shoot myself to get enough adrenaline to pull the metal out of me. I grab the pistol letting it lay In my hand, the question is where do I shoot? Can't do my leg or arms maybe the shoulder? Yeah, yeah the shoulder that's fine. I place the barrel of the gun on my left shoulder. I take a deep breath, then fire