Hiding in plain sight

(y/n pov)

We walk around Alexandria in our gut covered Bedsheet ponchos until we come close to a bush which is large enough to hide all of us. "Alright, new plan," Rick says as we all stop behind the before mentioned bush. "Flares from a few guns aren't enough. Too many walkers too spread out. We're not going to the armoury. We need our vehicles back at the quarry. All of us drive and round 'em up. We leave, we come back."

"Okay," Jessie says reluctantly "but what about Judith. To the quarry and back, I..." Rick looks around trying to find a solution to the problem before Gabriel speaks up.

"I can take her. Keep her in my church until you lead them away" I look at Gabriel as does everyone else

"Can you do this?" I say in a serious tone of voice.

"I'm supposed to. I have to... I will."

"Alright," I say. Carl slowly hands Judith over through the bottom part of the poncho and she whimpers.

"Shh, shh, shh" Gabriel hums in a soft voice

"Take Sam too," Jessie says before Gabriel walks away. Sam quickly shakes his head no. "Yes, Sam, it'll be safer."

"I'm not leaving you," Sam says in a low voice. "Mom I'm not," he says before she can say anything else. "I can keep going. I can keep going. Please. Please. Let's just go"

"Okay," Jessie says quietly. We all then look to Gabriel

"I'm going to keep her safe." Rick looks at him with apologetic eyes.

"Thank you." Gabriel then leaves slowly through the crowd of walkers. I look at rick and see his eyes are red and puffy.

"Hey, he's gonna make it. Okay?" Jessie comforts Rick. "I know it" Rick nods and calls out.

"Sam" gesturing to him to give him his hand. He then walks off as I stay at the back of the line holding Ron's hand.

(Time skip)

I don't know how long we've been walking but I feel like I'm going to collapse. The wound on my chest seemed to be getting stiffer and my body circulated the pain around my body. I'm hunched over still holding Ron's hand as we trek through the hundreds of killers, it has gone well past dark and I could barely get my bearings in the pitch blackness.

Suddenly, Sam let go of Ricks's hand at the front and I took this time to rest on one knee. Michonne stood next to me making sure I'm alright. "Sam?" Jessie questioned. "Come on. Come on let's go. Sweetheart? Sam?"

"You can do it. You can do it" Rick encouraged

"Yes, you can. Sam. Sam, come on."

"Hey Sam, hey you can do this. Sam, just look at mom." Ron whispered from the back while Sam violently shook his head no.

"Honey, you can do it. Sam, your gonna get... Sam, honey, I need you to come with me" instead of shaking his head again, he whimpers and starts crying. The sound of voices slowly got mixed together as we all try to comfort Sam. Then a walker's dirty and decaying nails wrap around the little boy's throat and moves its mouth to take a chunk out of his face. At the same time, another walker harshly pulls his head and bites down on his skull. His disturbing high pitched screams fill the silence that was once present, ignoring the constant groaning of the creatures of the night,

"Mooooom!!" Sam wails as he gets ripped from piece to piece, his mother still holding his little hand that is red with his blood. Jessie screams and cries loudly while Rick and Carl try to calm her down.

"Come on, Jessie, we have to go. Come on" but before she could respond to Carl's command, a walker grabs ahold of her neck the same way it did to her son and sinks its teeth into her face. I look to rick who sobs and keeps saying no over and over again.