"Dead People Wearing Dead People's Faces"

"You want my other egg? I could roll it to you. If-if you want." Henry offered. From the vent, I could hear everything albeit a little muffled but it was clear enough.

"You don't have to take care of me." Lydia retorted in a soft voice.

"I'm just trying to be nice," Henry replied in an apologetic tone.

"You can keep it. Hunger's a gift..." I picked off a piece of grass and began playing with it as they conversated. "Why are you being nice to me?"

"When me and my brother and my Dad were found out there, we were pretty messed up too. Took a lot of someone being nice to us to make things okay again-"

"You think I'm messed up?" Her question was directed in offence but her tone remained neutral.

"How is hunger a gift?"

"If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand," Lydia replied quickly. "It'll never be okay again."

"Says who?" Henry's questions were similar to mine, I just hope he got some answers.

Lydia told a story of how she, her dad and her Mom got stuck in a bunker at the beginning of the apocalypse. Her Dad started to gradually fall from humanity. And her Mom used to keep her entertained, especially when they played Checkers, and would say checkmate on purpose to make her laugh.

"She always... She always said that." Lydia said in a somber voice.

"Your Mom sounds nice," Henry replied to keep the conversation going.

"Yeah... Is your, uh... Is your second Mom the person who found you?" Lydia returned to her normal tone of voice.

"No, it was my uh... My dad, Ezekiel. Second dad-"

"Why isn't he here with your Mom?" Lydia spoke quickly after Henry's sentence.

"They're the leaders of another community. Where I'm from." Henry said quietly but I could still hear him. I drop the blade of grass I had in my hand and listen more closely.

"Is it far? W-what's it called?" Lydia asked her questions swiftly but clearly.

"It's called the Kingdom. It's probably like a day's ride from..." I stand up quickly, not being able to hear the rest of Henry's sentence.

I move over to the cellar doors and pull them open harshly causing thuds on either side of the entrance. I walk down the steps, grabbing the keys to the cells on the way down.

I walk to Henry's cell, the keys rattling until I hold them together as I pull his padlock and chains close to me. "Hey, what's going-"

"Shut up. You're gettin' out." I pull open his cell door as he stands up from his bed. "Come on."

He walks up the stairs and I slam his door shut. I follow him up the stairs and push on his back so he stumbles further away from the vent. He turns back around in confusion and holds his shoulder in unexpected pain.

"The hell's wrong with you? Huh? Telling her about the Kingdom? What if there's more of her people out there? You got family at the kingdom." I poke his chest and he shakes his head.

"I'm sorry, Okay? I didn't think that it would..." He changes his expression of apologist to one of confusion. "Wait. You were listening?"

"Yeah of course we were. Me, Enid and a few of the others, we've been switching off, seeing what she'd say to you." I lied that other people were involved so that he thought I heard the whole conversation, so he wouldn't keep anything from me.

"You were using me." Henry tilted his brow in anger.

"Yeah, and it was workin' too." He breathes more deeply as he looks up at me in disbelief and malicious intent.