No Longer A Dream

(6 Years Later.)

I slowly pushed through the slow-running stream of water, my wooden, fishing spear raised high as I look down into the clear water for a fish.

Soon enough, one appeared just above me and I moved down to strike it when Dog barked making me miss my target.

"Goddamn it," I mumble to myself and look to Dog on the other side of the stream. I move up to him and gently pat his head. "What's wrong boy?"

He runs off into the forest and I put my hood up and pick up my crossbow and backpack lying next to my table and follow him.

I get to an open road where I can hear the sound of wood creaking against concrete. I turn to my right to see a cart pulled by horses with Carol and Henry riding it.

Carol now had long snow-white hair and Henry had definitely grown a few inches in height as well as developed longer hair which looked more chestnut brown rather than pure blonde like it was when I last saw him.

Carol looked at me with a smirk but didn't say anything so I broke the silence. "Need some directions, stranger?"

"Watch the traps," I called as I navigated back the way I came with Carol and Henry in tow and Dog walking just in front of me.

Eventually, we make it back to my camp where I drop my backpack, Crossbow and remove my hooded green poncho leaving just my jacket a black shirt and some black jeans on my person.

"You didn't fix the boat since last time?" I carried on walking to the edge of the river washing my hands in the cool water before tossing Dog a large bone.

"Good Dog." I praised him as he laid down on his stomach, enjoying his treat.

"When's the last time you ate?" Carol asked another question and this time I answered.

"Dog ate yesterday." Carol looked annoyed as I walked past her.

"I'm not talking about the dog." I see a snake just a little ways from me and I throw one of my knives to nail it in the body.

I go up to it and cut off its head before wrapping the body around my neck at which that point a walker comes around a tree groaning.

I stab it through its chin into its head causing it to go limp and lean on a low-hanging branch.

I holster the knife and walk to my table, throwing the shake onto it. "You gonna just leave him there?"

I look at her as she motions to the Walker's body and I shake my head. "Yeah. Keeps the animals away."

I walk back over to the main part of my camp, towards the fire, where I put some sticks on it before putting some leaves on it. "You've been out here longer than I thought you'd be. Longer than you said you'd be."

"Yeah, I like it. It's quiet." I kneel down before brushing my knife across a brick near my sticks to make sparks fly off of it and go into the stick, causing small embers to form. "How's the king?"

"Having a hard time letting go." She sighed as I blew on the small embers to make them rise and create a more solid flame. "I'm taking Henry to the Hilltop. He wants to apprentice at the smithy."

I glance over to Henry who sat near my table looking at the headless snake with a disturbed face. "Well, I appreciate your visit. You seem real good." Carol stayed silent as she looked at me like she had another question she wanted to ask. "You gonna tell me why you're really here?"