Chapter 10. Connor

I couldn't help but notice how bleak the world was at dawn.

I'd always been an early riser, I used the sunrise that filtered through my open blinds to gently pull me from my slumber. Nessa had always despised it when we dated but I loved waking up slowly to see the soft rays of the early morning sun.

The sound of my clock radio blaring made my tired muscles clench and my dry tongue stick to the roof of my mouth as I forced myself out of bed. The sound of my groan was the only whisper in my family home. With half - slitted, heavy eye lids I somehow managed to shower and then drive over to the pack lands.

Elijah was waiting outside of the pack house for me, just like yesterday. The first thing he said to me was, "Hurry up Fields, you have work to do." - Well, the first thing he had really said to me was, "you look like shit." -.

I was too tired to deal with his wrath so I just kept my head down and followed him inside. The pack house was practically silent, only a few wolves milled around, stirring coffees in the shared kitchen. Elijah rounded behind me, slapping my back harshly. "The higher wolves are about to go for their morning training session. It's just a few laps, you can join them."

In my mind I was flicking him the bird but out loud I said, "I can't wait." I was already imagining the ache I'd have in my muscles later as I followed the Beta's and Delta's out the back of the pack house and into the garden, where people were starting to do warm up stretches. Shrugging off my jacket I hissed as the cool morning air stung my exposed skin. I raised my arms above my head, prepared to take my shirt off as well not wanting it to tear when I shifted.

Elijah stepped forward and picked up my jacket and shirt. "In your skin." He said, a teasing lilt to his voice.

"Elijah it's freezing, you can't be serious?" It was freezing, especially for an Autumn morning, the wind had even picked up. It seemed like Winter was approaching quicker than usual this year.

He shrugged. "You almost exposed us Connor, we need to push you to your limits and make sure they don't break you. We have to test your control." He sighed as he turned towards the group. Over his shoulder Elijah added, "Look at the positive side, you could learn a lot from these wolves."

He was right. I was surrounded by higher wolves, Delta's and past Beta's. Wolf's who had high ranking jobs in our pack, wolf's I looked up to. As an Omega my job was to bring money into the pack through low level - human jobs and help out here and there but those above me gave their entire lives to our community.

"Morning men," Elijah greeted the group. "Usual warm up before the day starts. I want to see the border patrol wolves picking up the pace, the patrols have been too spaced out."

I watched as the wolves around me jogged past, starting to run laps without an argument. I let out a huff of frustration as I followed after them. Once I got past my own stubbornness I started to enjoy the run. I'd missed running through the woods that housed our pack. Recently I'd been too busy with my last year of Uni and helping Mum and Dad out on the farm to find time for a run. I couldn't even remember the last time I'd felt the dirt beneath my paws. It was so tempting to shift, my fur would be much warmer than my skin but I wasn't going to fail Elijah's test and face more punishment.

The back of the group was where I'd settled but I didn't mind, unlike Adrian who had passed me twice I wasn't in a rush, I was too busy enjoying the scenes around me. Breathing in deeply through my nose I focused on the different scents flowing through the wind. The scent of birds flying over head and rabbits in the distance, the scent of stagnant water in puddles and the eucalyptus trees that shaded our path. The mix of wolves around me were both familiar and unfamiliar. As Adrian past me again I could scent his overpriced cologne, the smell of dirt and another strange scent that always lingered on him but I'd never quite been able to place. Elijah's scent was in the distance, back in the pack house but easily distinguishable.