Chapter 21. Kate

I gulped down the rest of my tea and waited patiently for Nessa to finish serving the indecisive customer who was lent over the counter trying to get a good look at Nessa's cleavage, that was as usual, well and truly on display. I couldn't help but to chuckle as I watched Nessa interact with the ogling customer. I often forgot how cold Nessa was with people other than me. Seeing it in action was both shocking and humorous.

I'[d finished my shift thirty minutes earlier but I'd hung around, wanting to catch up with Nessa. I'd been a shitty friend the last few weeks, too busy sneaking around with Connor behind her back. I wanted to make up for it, whether to soothe my own guilt or be a better friend to Nessa, I wasn't really sure but either way there was a bunch of snacks and movies I'd rented from Video Ezy that was waiting back at my apartment for us. Finally, Nessa finished up with the pervy old man and made her way towards where I sat at the edge of the counter, right next to the entrance to the kitchen. I smiled brightly at her but Nessa she didn't return my excitement as she brushed right past me without even a single glance in my direction. For only a split second I was paralysed with shock from her coldness but I shook it off, following after her into the kitchen. She was standing in front of a bench folding napkins into swans, well unsuccessful swans, they were really just a crumpled mess.

I stepped up beside her and took the pile of napkins that she was yet to destroy and began to easily mold them into beautiful sea birds. "Are you avoiding me?" I quizzed Nessa.

Nessa sighed. "No. I'm not." She answered in a short, unconvincing way.

"Okay..." I couldn't get over the feeling that she was lying and something was really wrong. "Do you want to hang out tonight? I have movies and snacks, I even got those grossly healthy dark chocolate dates you love."

"No." Nessa practically spat, the malice in her voice caught the attention of the other staff in the small kitchen. Nessa glared at them and they turned away, having barely there conversations as they surely continued to eavesdrop. "I'm busy all weekend."

My brows rose at her in question. "Doing what? You have the weekend off." I'd checked her work schedule before I'd planned to ask her over. In frustration I threw the folded napkins aggressively onto the bench, the pretty birds mushing from the force. I immediately regretted the action, feeling sad for the fake animals. "What is going on Nessa? Why are you lying to me?"

"Why am I lying to you?!" Nessa seethed, she turned towards me lightning fast, she looked mad, furious as she invaded my personal space and towered over me with her Amazonian height. "You're the fucking liar Kate."

Fear struck me first, then fear became guilt as possibilities swarmed through my mind at what she may have been suggesting I'd lied about. I didn't have to think so hard though, my heart beat increased, anxiety weaving its way through my muscles. I swallowed the lump in my throat, my mouth feeling dry. She couldn't possibly know about Connor and I, we'd been so careful but the look of hurt in her dark coloured eyes suggested otherwise. Still, I couldn't bring myself to admit it. "What are you talking about?"

Nessa laughed humorlessly. "That was your chance to tell me the truth Kate." She leaned further over me, all that I could see was her and the anger and pain covering her beautiful features. "The truth about how you're running around my back with my ex boyfriend. Is the sex worth it? Is it worth it to destroy our friendship for my sloppy seconds? You're disgusting."

Hearing her say that she knew of Connor and I made me feel ill. I gripped the counter as my head spun. She was right, I was a disgusting liar, a bad, terrible person. I felt tears well in my eyes as I choked out. "I'm so sorry Nessa."