Chapter 27. Connor

>>> EDITED <<<

The next morning I practically woke up grinning. The blinds in Kate's small bedroom were wide open, I hadn't even needed to ask her, she'd just opened them before falling asleep beside me in bed the night before. Checking my phone it was barely 6 AM but I had to leave soon. Even though it was a weekend, I still wanted to be at the pack lands, working in some capacity. I'd disappointed Elijah, when he promised me such a life changing future, I had to make it up to him, to prove he hadn't put his faith in the wrong person. I rolled over and looked at Kate, serene in her sleep. She would hate me, she wasn't a morning person but I couldn't resist the urge to wake her up. I wanted to spend as much time with her as I could, before I was sucked into a day of work.

I reached out, running my fingers down the side of her face, collecting the tiny baby hairs that were covering her skin and tucking them behind her ear. Her lashes fluttered as she began to wake. My finger grazed over her top lip and she shivered as her eyes flung open. "Morning," I greeted using my arm that wasn't holding her face to drag her closer to me. Kate whined in retaliation and tried to squirm away from me, her eyes squeezed shut as she tried to fall back asleep. I didn't let her go though, instead I let my hand slide down and squeeze her butt.

"If you're waking me up this early you better have food for me." She huffed, moving impossibly closer to me and running her sock clad feet up and down my legs.

"What were you thinking for breakfast?"

"Pizza." she breathed.

"Pizza?" I echoed. "For breakfast?"

Kate nodded, snuggling her head under my chin, her lips pressed softly to the base of my neck as her hands fingered the waistband of my boxers. That was enough to convince me to do anything. "Pizza for breakfast it is." I gulped as her hand wandered further.

***

Stepping into the main part of the small apartment that held the lounge room and kitchen my senses were bombarded with an array of smells. Mostly I could smell the different scents that made up Kate, the strong smell of burnt coffee, the sweet vanilla scent that always seemed to linger on her skin and in her hair and a spritz of a cheap perfume here and there. I could always smell the musk of woods that followed Nessa. I was just finishing up ordering the pizza when Kate finally emerged from the bedroom. Her hands raised above her head as she stretched her arms.

That wasn't what had distracted me and made the pizza man on the phone have to repeat his question; 'What's the address' multiple times, it was what she was wearing; my shirt. I rushed out Kate's address to the guy on the phone before hanging up and practically devouring Kate.

If I was going to have pizza for breakfast I may as well have dessert first.

***

I sighed pushing the blanket off of me that Kate had covered us both in. It was doused in her scent, I wanted to steal it from her. "I have to go." I admitted. I'd put it off long enough, I was only just going to have enough time to rush home and scrub off her scent before rushing to the pack lands.

"Are you sure you have to go?" She whined, giving me her best puppy dog eyes.

"Yeah," I assured her, jumping up from the lounge and grabbing my keys from the coffee table to cement that. "I have work." My stomach twisted, it was getting harder to lie to her.

"Okay, have fun." She stood up to press a quick kiss to my waiting lips while she was still wrapped up in the fluffy blanket, despite the fact that the boiling sun was filtering into the apartment.

I left begrudgingly.

I arrived at the pack lands just before 8 am, the pack seemed to be alive with morning buzz. Parents were rushing around, trying to get chores done before the school day ended, workers were carrying out their various jobs and among all of the mayhem I spotted Adrian, who for once seemed to be taking his position as Beta seriously, as he barked orders at pack members outside of the pack house.