Chapter 1. Connor

<<<<< EDITED >>>>

On the day that everything began to change, it was the heat of summer

It was one of the hottest days of my life. The sun cast a low glow over the pack lands, the wind sweeping through my short hair as it rushed through the cracked window of my beat up old Hilux. I could practically taste the crispness of the fresh, hot air, it always felt like I was breathing in the purest oxygen when I was in the confines of the tree wall surrounding my home.

I hummed a happy, off beat tune to the indie music that crackled through the car speakers as I followed the trail that led towards my best friend's house. It was a winding trail that swerved between the trees that the pack refused to move but rather lived around.

Adrian lived in the centre of our community, the higher ranking you were the closer you were situated to pack house and Adrian and the Tellsman family were as high as you could get. His older brother, Elijah was our Alpha, our ruler and Adrian his second, the Beta. Although from the way Adrian acted you'd never expect so.

The soft lull of the music and rev of my engine was a nice distraction to thoughts of my best friends strange shift in personality recently, almost too good of a distraction. I almost missed the flicker of long, light blonde hair flowing in the wind behind Adrian as he ran in front of my car. Seconds before he was pummelled by my beat up old Ute I slammed my foot on the break. The truck tyres shrieked and crunched on the gravel, struggling to come to such an abrupt stop.

"What the hell are you doing?" My voice was gruff as I growled at Adrian, who ducked his head as he slipped into the passenger seat of the car, a cheeky grin gracing his warm - skinned face.

"Running from that crazy bitch." As if on cue, from a near by house Adrian's girlfriend and mate, Leah emerged.

Leah was as soft and gentle in nature as a new born lamb, with her caring eyes and honey coated voice. That was why in contrast it was so startling to see that her light green eyes, usually shinning with glee were lit with rage. Leah was shaking, her jaw so tight that I could literally hear her teeth grinding together.

"Adrian Tellsman! How dare you!"

Adrian laughed darkly at Leah's anger, he seemed strangely relaxed and entertained as he slung his arm over the back of my chair and slumped in his own.

Adrian's enjoyment was short lived though. I watched as he bolted upright in his seat as Leah leapt into the air like one of the hot wheels cars that I used to love to send spiralling off of the end of my tracks when I was younger. She hit the ground running, her attention seemed focused solely on the car as she ran at us at full speed.

With wide eyes and a tense posture Adrian snapped his head around to look at me. "Drive!" He insisted.

"Wha-?"

He cut me off as he roared the word; "Drive!"

I pounded my foot onto the accelerator and sped past a livid Leah. My heart was pounding. I had to admit that as much as I hated the way that Adrian's antics always hurt others, I couldn't deny that I was addicted to the thrill.