Chapter 22. Connor

>>> EDITED <<< 

>>> EDITED <<< 

As the usually welcome sun shone through my open blinds and stirred me from my erratic sleep I let out a groan, cocooning myself in my blankets. I hadn't slept a wink last night. After talking with Elijah I hadn't felt like going back to the party, it wasn't like myself but it wasn't where I'd wanted to be, not when Kate wasn't there. I'd called her and made sure all of her doors and windows were locked before I'd climbed into bed, assuming that knowing she was safe would help me sleep but it didn't. Elijah's promise had played on my mind. Last night wasn't the first time he had made the promise to move my family up the ranks but this time he had seemed more serious, more sincere.

If Elijah were to keep true to his word it would change my family's life, for the better but climbing the ranks would also come with issues. Wolves were proud creatures, a family Omega's becoming Gamma's not through mating or murder would piss of a lot of powerful wolfs. My hate for the rankings was unparalleled, I wanted a world where being an Omega didn't mean that I was less than, that everyone was seen for their actions, rather than their titles. I wanted a world where I didn't need to fear for my girlfriend's life, where I could bring her home and proudly show her off.

My phone buzzed where it sat on my nightstand. I was so tired last night that I'd forgotten to plug it in, luckily the battery lasted days, sometimes weeks. The notification was a message from Selene.

If I wasn't in such a rush I'd have been shocked at the speed in which I'd moved. I threw on the closest shirt that was in the pile on my floor and pulled my dark jeans from the night before over my boxes. Mum glared at me as I sprinted down the stairs, passing her where she was making breakfast in the kitchen. "Slow down Connor, why are you in such a rush, sweet heart?"

I ignored her, slipping on Callum's thongs that sat by the front door and grabbing my keys from the hook where everyone sat. I could barely think straight, forgetting to buckle my seatbelt as I threw myself into my Ute and barreled down the gravel driveway. The thought that something happened to Kate controlled my every move and every thought. I would never forgive myself if she were hurt, that I hadn't been there to protect her. Worse, if Adrian had hurt her, I was going to kill him.