Chapter 5. Kate

<<<< EDITED >>>>

In frustration, I let out a loud groan. I was sure that Nessa, who was waiting for me in the lounge room was probably concerned about the activities that I was conducting in here. Really, I was just throwing a little tantrum as I failed to put together the kind of outfit I'd created in my mind. As I fell face first into the pile of clothes I'd created on my usually clean floor, I knew I probably looked like I was trying to recreate a scene from a cliché teen rom - com.

Slowly, my bedroom door creaked open, revealing a perturbed Nessa. She starred at me for a prolonged moment before she stepped into the room, looking at me with confused curiosity. "Are you okay?" she asked cautiously, as she sat on the edge of my pillow covered bed.

I gave out another dramatic sigh. "I just want to look nice tonight but all I own is..." Looking at the clothes around me, I threw my arms in the air, allowing myself to grovel in my childish tantrum. "All of my clothes are very... practical. I don't want to look hot, not practical."

"You are hot." Nessa said in a non-committal way, as she plucked a shirt from the pile and looked at it with distaste before tossing it towards the other side of the room. "Like teacher hot."

I glared at her. I couldn't be mad though, it was one of things I liked most about Nessa, her bluntness. She was right though, I liked to dress, appropriately. I'd never been one to show off my body, I liked plain clothes, I liked to blend in with the crowd, not stand out.

Tonight though, tonight was different. I had a reason, a person - as much as I hated to set back feminism by saying so - that I wanted to dress up for.

"If I tell you something do you promise not to laugh at me?" Nessa leaned forward, offering me her full attention. I felt a blush warm my cheeks, I'd always easily become flustered.
"So I kind of met this guy today, he's really cute and nice. He goes to the uni, so I'm kind of hoping he might be there tonight. So I just want to look good. That's not so crazy is it? To want to look hot, in case I see him. He's just really out of my league, like tall and he has nice eyes but that doesn't really matter, because he's probably forgotten all about me. I'm just being delusional I know."

I looked to Nessa, awaiting her reaction but it was clear from her dazed expression that she had completely zoned out during my ramble.

"You weren't even listening." I huffed.

"I was." Nessa disagreed. "And you're not delusional. We can make... something out of all this." Her dark brown eyes now held a spark of determination. She began sifting through my clothes, preparing to attempt mission impossible: Make Kate Look Hot.

Among the mess of clothes we'd managed to uncover an appropriate outfit, a short, dark, denim skirt - that I hadn't even known I'd owned - and a baby pink camisole that I still wasn't sold on. It was literally skimpy nightwear, I couldn't wear it in public.

Nessa had eventually worn me down, assuring me that no man was going to be able to take his eyes off of me. As we stood side by side in the frosted mirror that hung on my closet door I struggled to believe that anyone could look at me when girls like Nessa existed. She looked striking in her tight jeans and red corset top that showed off her tiny waist and large assests. Beside her, I pailed in comparison. We were polar opposites, where Nessa was tall and slim I was short and curvy, her hair was bright blonde and flowed like spun gold, my hair was a boring brown wave of frizz. I was happy for Nessa though, she deserved her beauty, she never bragged about it or treated others disdainfully just because she was pretty. Not like other girls I'd met.

A loud horn sounded from outside my apartment building. "Max is here." Nessa grunted, ushering me out of the apartment, grasping a jacket for me on her way out the door.