Chapter 6. Connor

<<<<< EDITED >>>>>

<<<<< EDITED >>>>>

I turned to Adrian and sighed deeply. We had only been at the party for a few minutes but Adrian had convinced me to do a few rounds of shots with him, testing our fast metabolism to see if we'd be able to get drunk tonight. I was certainly drunk and when I drank I became a sappy mess. Adrian braced himself as I asked, "what's it like having a mate? Is it the best thing ever?"

"I hate when you speak like you'll never find her Connor." Adrian replied, avoiding my question with practised expertise.

My heart raced as I thought about the day that I would finally find the girl for me.

"Besides if you don't find your mate there's always Nessa."

I sobered up a little bit at the comment. Nessa and I had been through a lot together over the past few years and while I had finally realised that I didn't love Nessa in a romantic way anymore she was still extremely important to me. "What's that supposed to mean?"

Adrian was now giving me his his 'Beta' stare, it was the one thing that Adrian had seemed to of mastered from his training. The stare was designed to tell a wolf that they had asked a stupid question and that it didn't deserve to be dignified with an answer.

With a sigh he thankfully did reply, "Wolves settle all of time Connor."

I crossed my arms over my chest and huffed like a grumpy toddler.

"Come on Connor... Nessa's tried the mate thing with almost every wolf in the whole world... and she always comes running back to you. Maybe it's time to just accept her."

I was resisting the urge to punch my best friend. Sure, the fact that Nessa wasn't very good at being in a monogamous relationship had been the downfall of our five years together but I never blamed her for it. We had loved each other, Nessa had just loved the idea of finding her mate more.

I stole the beer from him and left him at the bar, to instead join Noah and Selene where they sat, comfortably chatting in a low lit booth. Adrian tried a few more times in the next hour to convince me to do more shots, when I denied, wanting to clear my head of its fuzziness, he turned to poor, young, defenceless Noah. When the fifth shot was shoved down Noah's throat he turned green and headed outside for some fresh air, leaving Selene in Adrian's and I's oh so very trusting hands. Adrian only stayed with us for two minutes before he had spotted a new conquest and disappeared into the thick of the party, to pursue an exotic brunette.

"So..." I said awkwardly to Selene as I peered around the club. Normally I would be fully immersing myself in the thick of the party, finding a nice girl to occupy my time or join the other boys in a game of pool. There was something in my gut and Selene's body language that told me that she was feeling a little anxious in the busy atmosphere. I surveyed the club, hoping for something that would save me from the awkward situation. My eyes skimmed over a familiar blonde, bundle of hair and for the first time in a long time I was pleased to see Nessa Maytis.