Chapter 12. Connor

>>> EDITED <<<

>>> EDITED <<<

The rest of the week had felt like I was on auto pilot. It was a merry - go - round of;

Early morning punishments from Elijah
Hanging out with Kate
And studying until I fell asleep at my desk.

I was a walking zombie as I passed the professor for my last class of the day my quiz answer sheet. "Thank you," I mumbled, not waiting for his reply as I stumbled from the room, trying to be considerate of the other students in the room still filling out their quizzes.

The fresh air that hit me as I stepped outside felt as if it were lifting the weight off of my shoulders, well at least some of it. Even though the sun setting over the mountains was a clear indication that the day was soon coming to an end, I still had a lot to do. I was heading over to the pack to take Jenna and Luke for a run before a meeting I had scheduled with Elijah, who wanted to discuss if I'd satisfied the terms of my punishment.

To my surprise waiting outside of my car was Kate and Noah. They were standing precariously by my Ute, both too kind and considerate to lean on my pride and joy. It was nice to see Noah but seeing Kate, brought a smile to my face. There was something about her that made me want to be in her presence. I wanted to make sure that she was safe and happy enough to smile the pretty little grin I'd caught a few glimpses of, this past week.

Kate hadn't noticed that I was approaching, Noah's wolf senses had allowed him to know from many metres away that I was near by but he acted as if he were as clueless as the human beside him. Her nose was buried deep in a book, occasionally she would peer up at Noah and point something out to him but mostly she read to herself, her converse clad feet kicking at the dirt she stood on.

"Hey," I greeted the pair once I was close enough for Kate to hear me.

She smiled at me as she snapped her book shut and stepped towards me. "Hey! How was your day?"

I pulled her close, wrapping my arms around her, her book was crushed between our bodies as I hugged her tightly. I breathed all of my stress out as I breathed in the smell of her coconut shampoo. My muscles were beginning to give into exhaustion from the long day, my eyelids drifting. I fought to keep awake as I replied, "Long." Pulling away from her after a period that definitely wouldn't be considered friendly I changed the subject, wanting to hear about her, "What were you reading?'

She looked a little embarrassed as she avoided my eye contact and breathed, "Snail encyclopaedia."

I starred at her intently. She, to my surprise, stared back at me, nibbling on her lower lip. With much effort I drifted my eyes from her mouth to the book tucked under her arm. The word 'snail' peaking out of the part of the cover that was on display. I lost it, I was laughing so hard that I was sure tears were streaming from my eyes.

"Oh my god! You weren't joking!" I chocked out between gasps for breaths and deep laughter.

Kate's cheeks were flame red, she looked as if she were about to explode as she swatted me with the book in question. "Don't laugh at me!" Her words were a contrast to the giggle she squeaked out. "Snails are interesting!"