Chapter 29. Connor

>>> EDITED<<<

The forty minute drive out of town and back into the countryside was silent. Beads of sweat dripped from my forehead, as I sped through the winding, empty streets. The windows were up but the smell of smoke still seeped through the air vents, curling around my lungs and adding to my terror. Kate was physically and mentally distant. She was pressed up against the side of the car, as far away from me as possible. Her grey eyes surveyed the unknown terrain. I could scent her fear growing stronger as we grew further and further away from civilisation. My chest burned and not because of the growing smoke. I wanted to take Kate as far away as possible but my pack called to me, I couldn't let my home and family burn. Elijah was dead. They were depending on me.

Flames licked the trees as I turned towards my family home. No one was home, there were no cars in the driveway and their scents didn't linger. I could hear screams in the pack lands across the way, I could only hope they weren't from my family. I parked the car around the back of the house, wanting to hide Kate as much as possible. This was as far as she would go, if I took her onto the pack lands I'd be signing her death sentence. Kate didn't move when I left the car, I scrambled to her door, throwing it open and leading her from the car.

"Is this your home?" Kate asked, her voice meek and shaky as we entered through the back door, into the kitchen.

"Yes. And you're going to stay here." I pulled out one of the kitchen chairs and sat her in it, offering a reprieve for her shaking legs.

Kate shook her head furiously. "Why? Where are you going?" I looked out of the large bay windows that were just visible from the kitchen. Smoke wafted high into the air, flames licked at trees, the heat could be felt from here. Kate followed my eye line out of the window, her face immediately blanching. "No." Her voice was unusually stern.

In another world, another life I would have listened to her. I would have taken Kate away from here but even just as an Omega responsibility weighed heavily on my shoulders. "My family is there, Kate. I'll get them out, then come right back to you." I wanted to kiss her, just once before I left but it felt too much like a goodbye. Kate was wordless as I stepped around her to the back door. "Stay here," I insisted. "You'll be safe here."

I'd left my car running, I jumped in, forcing it into gear as I took off up the gravel road to the closest entrance to the packlands. Flashes raced past me, some wolves trying to escape the mayhem, others revelling in the scent of burning flesh and wood. Bile rose in my throat but I pushed through, racing towards the centre of the pack land where most of the fire seemed to be concentrated. I pulled the car to a squealing stop in front of the pack house, the feel and scent of Elijah's blood still sprayed over my clothes and skin suddenly seemed stronger. The single second I sat in the car, rather than jumping into action, was long enough for a wolf to force open the passenger side door. White fur fizzed out to become tanned skin and then Nessa was staring at me, not bothered by her starkness.

"Where the fuck have you been Connor? Everything has gone to shit." Before I even had the opportunity to reply Nessa's nostrils flared, the strong scent of Kate and Elijah that covered my skin and clothes answered her question.

She moved so fast I didn't have time to block before her hand was at my throat, claws scratching at the sensitive skin. "What have you done Connor? And tell me you didn't Connor. Tell me that you didn't bring her here."

"I had to Nessa. Elijah begged me. He was dying."

Nessa's head dropped, her shoulders slumped forward, a sight I thought I'd never see from her. "I know. We heard him." She looked up at me, her brown eyes shining with ready to fall tears. "In our mind, we all heard him."