Chapter 11. Kate

>>> EDITED <<<

I wasn't actually expecting Connor to be outside my apartment but there he was. I could see his beat up old Hilux sitting outside my building, the white of the car disguised by built up mud as the midday sun shon down on it, fading the paint.

As I stepped away from the window I'd been peeking out of I took a few deep, calming breaths. Connor made me nervous, not just because he was an attractive stranger but because he scared me, not because I'd seen him in a physical fight, I didn't quite trust him but I was sure he wouldn't hurt me. He scared me because a little slither of my brain told me that Connor might like me, in the same way that I did him. I grabbed my shoulder bag, locking my door behind me and skipping down my building's stairs, each one of my steps was fuelled by my near - dizzying anxiety.

When Connor noticed me approaching he rolled down his car window and enthusiastically waved me over. I yanked open the passenger side door, the metal creaking in protest. "Good morning," He greeted cheerfully as I slid inside.

He was smiling so brightly that it felt like I was starring straight into the sun. I blinked, trying to adjust to the brightness. "Good morning." He repeated. I grimaced. Guh. I thought with distaste. He's a morning person.

I went to reply with my own - less peppy - greeting, letting my eyes pass over him but when I looked at him, really looked at him, my mouth dried up like the Sahara desert. Connor's brown hair was pushed back from his face, making his attractive features stand out more. His pale blue eyes looked like they were glistening, a glittering pool of cerulean blue. His lips were quirked up in a slight smile, that made a little dimple appear on his right cheek. He was wearing a thin, black t - shirt and a pair of running shorts. A strange impulse overcame me that was screaming for me to rest my palm on the expanse of his muscled thigh that was on display.

"Morning." I managed to choke out as I snapped my neck around to stare out the window and put my hands to better use by buckling my seat belt. When I peeked back at him he was already looking at me, amusement dancing in his eyes. He knew I'd been checking him out. I turned and stared back out the window.

The sound of a deep voice rumbling from behind me made me jump. "Morning Kate."  I whipped around to stare at Noah, my heart thumping as I tried to calm myself after the scare he'd given me. I my cheeks were flushed. I felt mortified that not only Connor had noticed my ogling but Noah had witnessed it as well.

I tried to smile at Noah but I was still too embarrassed. So instead I turned to face the front of the car as Connor quietly pulled away from the curb.

"Sorry about the third wheel," Connor pipped up. "Noah doesn't have a car."

"It's okay," I replied, realising I probably looked insane. I stretched around awkwardly to smile at Noah, "Hey, Noah."

{ ----------------------------------------------- }

The rest of the ride was silent, save for the alternative radio station that was playing a mixture of smooth jazz and indi pop. Once we finally arrived at the University, Noah rushed right out of the car, spluttering out a mixture of apologies and something about not wanting to be late.

In contrast, Connor and I leisurely walked into campus. "Do you have many classes today?" I quizzed as we fell into step with eachother. I always felt the need to fill the silence, even when it was comfortable.

"Just a morning class," he replied, reaching over and pulling my bag off of my shoulder to slide it over his own. The move was so slick that I barely had the chance to process it. "I only have two units left this year, then I'm graduating."