Chapter 2. Kate

<<<<< EDITED >>>>>

I'd lived in Singleton for a little over three years

I'd lived in Singleton for a little over three years. It was a strange town that had taken a bit of getting used to. Not because it didn't feel homely. The people here were lovely, welcoming country folk that smiled at you on the street and seemed genuine when they wished you a 'nice day'. It was something else, a different string that tugged at the tangled twine that was my brain. Although it was easy for me to push aside any strange feelings about the country town, knowing that being here was bringing this city born girl one step closer to her dream of becoming a qualified veterinarian. A dream I'd had since I was old enough to still believe in the tooth fairy.

I had been whipping back and forth between the kitchen and the busy tables of the small cafe, as quick as a brown hare running from a fox. I was so distracted that the group of young, attractive men that had just entered barely caught my attention.

I plastered on a big smile as I approached a table, my hands full. Carefully, I set the mug and saucer that held a piece of carrot cake onto the dark wood table. "Your order, Mr. Earl." I greeted the elderly customer, who sat at his usual spot.

He smiled gratefully at me as he tore a little piece off the cake. "Have you found yourself a husband yet, dear?" He questioned, just the same as he did most other days.

Mr Earl was permanently set in a different era. The other waitresses didn't like to serve him, he was too loud about his outdated opinions. He would never be like other patrons, quiet and happy to leave a respectful tip. I didn't wish to change Mr Earl though, I may not have agreed with some of his thoughts but I liked him.

"Not yet, Sir." I chuckled in reply, shaking my head when he pushed the cake towards me, offering me some of the slice. He always offered me a bite and I always refused, it was our ritual.

"How old are you sweetie?" He asked, removing his glasses so that they wouldn't fog up as he sipped on the dark liquid in his mug. Over the last few years, he was starting to get a little forgetful.

"Twenty."

"My gosh!" Mr Earl exclaimed. "That is much too old to not be wed. I have a Grandson, a few years younger than yourself but he will make a great husband."

I found myself smiling at Mr. Earl's offer as I tried my best not to laugh. If it had been anyone else who had made the suggestion I knew that I would be furious. Mr. Earl was from a different time, he believed that his offers were polite and helpful.

"Thank you for the offer. I'll certainly think about it." I waved him a quick good bye before heading back to the kitchen.

The time had just ticked over to ten o'clock, indicating the end of my shift. Just as my fingers reached behind my back to untie the strings of my apron, my co-worker, and best friend Nessa interrupted.

"Hey," she flashed me her perfectly white teeth in a smile that told me that she was about to ask me to do her a favour. Nessa had perfected this look, slight smile and sad eyes, it was a look that I and many others couldn't say no to.

It was rare that Nessa smiled sincerely, she was well known for her permanent sneer. That didn't deter men from being obsessed with her though, I couldn't really blame them. Nessa was beautiful, with her glossy blonde hair, slim but curvy body and her long, toned legs. Most of the memories I had with Nessa, were of her rejecting wildly attractive men.

I shook my head at her and placed my hands on my hips. "What do you want, Ness?"

"Connor's here." she groaned, her fake smile fading away as she slumped on the counter that was designated purely for fruit and vegetable preparation. Our boss would lose it if he saw her elbows all over the freshly disinfected zone.

I was shocked for a moment but then I was slightly frustrated. I'd been friends with Nessa for almost three years but there was so much that she kept hidden from me and Connor was one of those things. She'd been seeing him on and off for a very long time and although I had never met him I was always hearing about the ups and downs of their non - existent relationship.

"Can you please just serve him?" She begged. "I know you're finished up for the day but I'm seriously done with him. I don't want to see him and his stupid friends' faces."

I sighed as I looked at the desperation in Nessa's eyes. I didn't even usually work the morning shift, I had a class at the university that I had to rush off to but I was certainly a sucker for Nessa's puppy dog eyes. So instead of untying my apron I tightened the strings and smiled warmly at her, "sure, I've got you."

I made my way back onto the café floor and scanned the proximity for the group of males that matched the quick description that Nessa had given me, which was simply, 'he looks like an asshole.'

I stopped abruptly when I spotted who I assumed was Nessa's ex boyfriend. He had long, light coloured hair and was large in stature. He looked like the epitome of an asshole, with the muscle tee he wore despite the fact that it was bordering on Autumn and the sneer he was giving the table by theirs. He was with two friends, one of which had certainly captured my attention. He wasn't looking at me so I only had a view of his profile, but from what I could see of the boy, or I suppose man, I found him extremely attractive.

He had fluffy brown hair that lay in a gentle mess, slightly falling onto his forehead. I could picture myself running my fingers through the soft strands. His nose was strong and his jaw sharp. Long dark lashes fanned out from his eyes, the colour of which I longed to see. His chin rested on his arm as he laughed along with his friends, it gave me a fantastic view of the toned muscles in his arm.

I took a deep breath, I didn't want to be flustered and embarrass myself in front of him. I paused, walking back to the kitchen, hidden from any customer's view. Nessa starred at me, perplexed but she didn't say anything as she watched me inhale and exhale a couple of times, trying to calm my nerves.

I wasn't as well versed in the language of men as Nessa was. I was quieter, more reserved and men didn't offer me attention when Nessa was always with me. So I hadn't had much practice.

Once I felt a little less worked up, I made my way towards their table. Upon my descent, the handsome man turned towards me, a smile gracing his face. Slowly, his bright blue eyes met with my own grey pair, once our eyes connected the man became completely expressionless.

I froze. My heart was slamming rapidly against my rib cage, I felt as if someone had flicked the off switch to my brain. I was sure that all of the patrons in the café were screaming at me to run into his arms but I didn't dare move a single muscle.

***********************************************************************************************

A/N

Thank you for continuing to read!

What are everyone's first impressions of Kate?

I know this chapter hasn't changed much to the original but changes will come soon!

Please don't forget to vote and comment it let's me know that people are enjoying my work and is very motivating :)