Chapter 16. Kate

Unusually, I was running late.

My chat with Selene had kept me up all night. I couldn't turn my brain off, all that I could think of was her story and who I was in the scenario.
Deep down inside I knew that the time I was spending with Connor was wrong, that I was lying to Nessa. That I was hurting myself by hiding my feelings from Connor, forcing him to keep a friendship with me when I knew he wanted more.

When my alarm loudly sounded I'd had maybe forty minutes sleep but the numbers flashing on the clock radio told me that it wasn't the first time the alarm had chimed.

When I peered through my blinds, Connor's car was already idling outside of my apartment building. Various curses slipped through my lips as I began fumbling around, throwing on a pair of jeans and a knitted sweater to combat the strong winds that were shaking the walls. I didn't have time to brush my hair, I just swept it up into a knotty bun and spent the extra time scrubbing my teeth.

As soon as Connor spotted me coming towards his car he jumped out, sliding over the hood, stumbling as his feet hit the ground, almost falling on his face before he found his footing. "Good morning."

A breathy laugh fell from my mouth. "You're in a good mood today." His smile was radiant, I hadn't seen him smile like that all week, it was as if his light had dimmed but now a fresh bulb had been installed.

"I am." He opened the passenger door for me, leaving only just enough room for me to pass him to get into the car. Our arms brushed as I did, sending a spark running over my skin. "Noah said that you and Selene had a lovely little talk last night."

I felt my face heat with an embarrassed blush. "You boys gossip worse than little school girls."

Connor lent over the console, plastering his hand over my mouth, effectively silencing me. "Please Kate," his eyes grew dark. "When you blush like that..." he shook his head, his floppy hair sliding into his eyes. "You can't expect me to behave." His smile grew into a sly grin.

Slowly, Connor removed his hand from over my mouth, revealing that my blush had only intensified. He laughed loudly as I manually wound down the window, cooling myself in the ice cold breeze.

Today was evidence that autumn was well and truly here, the sun had disappeared behind a curtain of clouds. Even Connor, who seemed to be perpetually warm had donned a soft, cotton long sleeve shirt but his signature shorts showed off his strong legs.

"Do you have many classes today?" I asked once I was feeling calmer.

I had the busiest of days today. In one of my classes I had a huge presentation due. Public speaking always made me nervous, I wasn't someone who enjoyed being in the spotlight, I was perfectly pleased to stay backstage, assisting on the sideline.

"Just the one." Connor hummed. "You have that presentation today right? How are you feeling about it?"

I'd only briefly mentioned the presentation to him a few days ago, I couldn't believe he'd remembered. "Nervous." I replied truthfully, although I couldn't hide it if I tried, anxiety was practically pouring off of me, seen in the way that my hands shook slightly, in the wobble of my voice and seen as I checked my bag for the fifth time to make sure I'd remembered to pack my notes.

"I have a trick, to get rid of nerves." Connor took his eyes off the road to peer at me quickly. I was surprised to hear that he even got nervous, he always seemed so level headed and sure. "Would you let me show you?"

I nodded. I was willing to try anything.

{ ----------------------------------------------- }

Once we'd arrived at the University Connor had dragged me into the complete opposite direction of my first class. He insisted that I skipped my lecture, that breaking rules occasionally was good for the soul. My soul felt ill with the knowledge that I was skipping class, I never skipped class.