Chapter 9 Connor

>>> EDITED <<<

>>> EDITED <<<

My instincts told me that she was nervous, scared. Even if I couldn't smell her fear, it was clear to the human eye that Kate was apprehensive around me. My instincts told me to treat her like a lost pup, to bring her food and keep her safe from the dangers of the world.

I couldn't really blame Kate for her fear, the first time she'd met me I'd rushed out of the Café like a crazed person, the next I'd found myself in a fist fight. I'd be scared of me too, if I were her.

I opened the passenger door of the Ute for her, the action brought a flush to her cheeks that made me grin, as she mumbled, "Thank you."

Noah slid into the back seat, giving me the eye through the rear view mirror, I ignored him. I didn't need to explain my actions to him. Besides I wasn't sure what I'd tell him anyway, because I had absolutely no clue what I was doing. There was a girl in my car who reeked of human but also doused my interior with the sweet scent of vanilla. The scent was addicting, God, even from the few words she'd spoken I was addicted to her voice, to the words that would slide from her lips, I waited with baited breath for what she would say next.

She didn't say anything. The car ride was pleasant but completely silent, it made me begin to feel a slither of nerves. I wasn't a nervous guy, the emotion was new to me and I didn't like it, I was on edge. I gripped the steering wheel tightly until my knuckles turned white. I couldn't help the occasional glance I took at Kate. She kept her eyes out the window, a little smile quirked up the corner of her lips as she watched the passing views.

A few seconds before the turn approached, Kate turned to me and tapped the wheel. "Slow down, it's the next right." I followed her directions until I came to a stop in front of an apartment building. The building was run down and small, even from inside of my car a stale stench wafted through the air vents. I worked to keep a straight face and hide my thoughts, I always did my best to not judge others.

Kate avoided looking at Noah and I as she jumped out of the Ute but her face said all that she didn't, she was embarrassed. "Well," she sighed, throwing her bag over her shoulder. "Thanks for the lift." She gave the both of us a little smile and a wave, before turning away and heading towards her building.

I watched her go, a longing pulling at me. The clearing of a throat caught my attention, I looked over my shoulder at Noah. "She might need some assistance carrying her bag up the stairs."

For someone so quiet he was damn sly.

I let out a frustrated groan, stepping out of the car and running to Kate. "Wait," I called to her. She turned to face me, her brows raised. My breath was all caught up in my throat, this moment felt ridiculously important. "Do you really not have a car? Do you get the bus everywhere?"

"Yes, to Uni and other days work. It's really not so bad." She shrugged.

Not so bad my ass. I'd heard stories about public transport, seen newspaper headlines, it wasn't safe. "Can I drive you?" Kate's face distorted. "Sometimes." I added. "Do you have class in the morning? I can pick you up at eight."