Chapter 7. Connor

>>>> EDITED <<<<<

My eyes were no longer seeing through human sight, my arms covered in a light smattering of chocolate brown fur. My canines were slicing my gums as they began to protrude. I'd never heard of a wolf being trapped between transformations before and now I knew why, it was unfathomably painful. Transforming from human to wolf was usually a painless and quick transition, it was supposed to be like sliding a fur coat over your shoulders.

I felt more like my bones were pushing through my skin, breaking at strange, slow angles. My breathing was ragged, coming out in short puffs. I knew that the scent of wolf was dripping off me so furiously that even the humans could tell that there was something off about me.

Nessa's voice was the only sound breaking through to me. "Connor, every wolf within a fifty kilometre radius can smell that you're shifting, if you think they won't turn on you and alert Alpha Tellsman you're wrong."

I could hear her, I could comprehend what she was saying but I couldn't let go. The shift was coming and I couldn't stop it. My claws were digging into the soft fabric of my grey sweat shorts, as I watched the hair on my arms become thicker, covering more of my skin until I couldn't see anymore of the tanned skin.

"Look at me," Nessa demanded, gripping my face harshly. I welcomed the touch of her cool skin on my balmy face. "Is this all about Jason Creck? It is isn't it?"

I was teetering, barely human in this dangerous game of tug- of - war I was playing. The wolf was taking over, my instincts taking over to protect me, my body, on its own accord, launched at Nessa, claws descended and teeth aiming for her delicate throat. Nessa tumbled backwards, just in time to protect herself from the attack. I reeled back, trying my best to gather my thoughts and emotions but it wasn't working, the sleeves of my shirt began to shed as my upper arms twisted and changed, preparing to become another species muscles and bones.

"Really Connor," Nessa sighed from where she was sprawled on her hands and knees in a practiced fighting stance. I couldn't reply through my rapid breathing or the cracking of my ribs. Cautiously, Nessa approached, still on guard in case I tried to attack again. "Is this all about that worthless human?" She rested her hand softly on my knee, the gentle touch unusual from Nessa but reassuring none the less.

I took in a deep shattering breath and using all of my strength managed to growl out one word, "Girl." The word was barely tangible, especially not to human ears.

Nessa's brows drew together as she starred at me, perplexed. "I'm here, Connor."

I shook my head furiously, managing to once again enough strength to choke out one word, "Kate."

"Kate?" Nessa repeated.

A mixture between a wine and a growl escaped my mouth, nor my muzzle than human lips and teeth.

Nessa hissed out a string of profanities. "You and you're stupid love of humans. She's fine Connor."

Words weren't good enough. I reached forward, Nessa flinched back, her natural instincts reacting. I tapped her pocket where her mobile sat, she placed her hand over the device and I nodded. "Proof."

With a roll of her eyes Nessa dialled a number off by heart. I relaxed slightly as the dial tone sounded, Nessa slapped her hand over my half formed muzzle, covering my inhuman sounds as Kate's concerned voice echoed through the receiver. "Nessa? Can you hear me?"

"Yeah. Where are you?" Nessa clamped down harder on my muzzle. Kate's voice was like an overdrive for my currently animalistically driven mind, I was thrashing against her hold, warning hisses seeping through my teeth. Nessa shifted to holding the phone between her ear and shoulder, to use her other hand to hold me down and stop me escaping the roof top.