Chapter 14. Connor

>>> EDITED <<<

>>> EDITED <<<

"Are you okay?" I hadn't been expecting Selene to be leant over me when I came to. I pushed myself up into a seated position, ignoring the lingering metallic taste in my mouth. "Slow down..." Selene grasped my shoulder. "You were hurt really badly Connor."

I ignored her words and the worried look that was written all over her delicate facial features. "Where's Kate?"

Noah stepped into view, "Nessa took her home. She was a little shaken but she was fine." I breathed out a sigh of relief as Noah added, "Come on, I'll drive your car home."

Exhaustion seeped into my bones as with Selene's assistance I got to my feet. I stumbled all of the way to my car, falling into the passenger seat, my thoughts running over the events of the night with great detail. I'd put Kate at risk, Adrian wasn't going to stop until I stopped him. I needed to see Kate, I needed to make sure that she was okay. I'd let her rest tonight but first thing in the morning I would go and see her.

{ ----------------------------------------------- }

My head was pounding in the morning, it took a great amount of effort just to stand in the bathroom to brush my teeth. The Connor that looked back at me in the mirror look like shit. Blood was smeared over my face, a slit had been cut just above my brow bone, blood dripped from my clearly broken nose and my busted lip was swollen and thumping in pain. I clenched my fingers around the basin as I used my other hand to snap my nose back into position, I slammed my teeth together, trying to keep the cry of pain that wanted to escape me inside.

Using a wash cloth I rinsed the blood away from my face until it was clear and clean. My face still looked terrible and I hoped Kate wouldn't be scared of me.

On the drive to Kate's apartment I stayed in contemplative silence. Usually I'd have the radio pumping but there were too many thoughts running through my mind, too many decisions to make. It was a bleary Autumn day, drops of rain splattered onto the windscreen, I thanked the heavens for my natural warmth, if I was human I'd have regretted forgetting a jacket.

Nerves filled me as I climbed the stairs to Kate's apartment. Would she even want to see me? I knocked gently on her front door, trying to stop the nerves from eating me up inside. Nessa opened the front door, a sigh falling from her lips as she starred at me. She stepped into the hall, closing Kate's door behind her "Why are you here Connor?"

"I need to see her Nessa. She's my friend, I have to make sure she's okay." The word friend tasted like a sour lie on my tongue.

Nessa chewed on her lip for a moment in thought. "You put her at risk Connor. I've kept her safe, away from the wolf's for three years. She knows you for a few weeks and now Adrian wants her dead."

My heart sunk at her words, but I tried not to show my fear to Nessa. "I'll fix it." I promised. "I won't let anyone hurt her."

"I hope that's true." Nessa dropped her voice, a growl rumbling from her as her canines descended. "Because if you hurt her, I'll never let you live in peace."