6- Lit Up

6 Lit Up

All the managers, including me, are sitting in the conference room. Smith is explaining the importance of a new project to us that needs to be taken by our company. I listen carefully and understand the assignment. I have to go to LA and meet Mr. Bishop, the production manager of Lit Up.

Lit Up is a growing firm that has been representing a lot of celebrities on social media. The mission is to ensure an alliance between Whoosh and Lit Up that would lead to cooperation.

"So," Smith says after his passionate explanation. "I'd like one of you to represent us at the meeting." He waits for someone to accept the challenge as he looks at us.

I raise my hand too high in the air. "I can do it," I say, and everyone looks at me. Raising my hand to this extent may be unnecessary, so I slowly lower it.

Smith smiles mildly. "That's the spirit. Everyone, look at Mia. Come on. Show me some enthusiasm."

"I just said I'll do it," I say as I cross my arms.

"I saw your hand," he says, mocking my gesture. "And I appreciate your excitement. But I think it's better if an experienced manager steps up."

"I've been a manager for six months now."

"Yes. Exactly. Only six months! That's new."

Nick, one of the managers, clears his throat and lifts his hand to a proper height. "I can do it," he says, and a smile appears on Smith's mouth.

"Nick! Yes," Smith says.

"Seriously?" I say, but Smith doesn't even look at me.

"I'm sure I don't have to repeat how important this project is," Smith says to Nick.

"Don't worry, boss," Nick says. Everyone gets up to leave the conference room.

I wait and close the door before Smith gets to leave. "What are you doing?" he asks, finally facing me.

"You don't trust me a bit," I say with a frown.

"Come on, Mia."

"You come on! I cannot believe you dismissed me in front of everyone like I don't exist."

"I told you why I needed someone else."

"We both know you didn't want me to do it because you don't trust me. You didn't trust me to solve the problem with Big Thick. You never trust me to do anything."

"That's not true."

"Okay. I'm sure Nick can do it because I know he's a superb manager. I trust him. Trust is a good thing." I open the door and leave to enter my office.

An hour passes, and someone knocks on the door of my room. "Come in," I say, and Smith opens the door. I fix my posture. "Hey," I say, not expecting him. "Everything alright?"

"Yes," he says as he stands in the middle. "Everything's fine."

"Would you like to sit?" I ask, and he looks around at the seat options. Then he chooses the chair in front of my desk.

He awkwardly looks at the tennis ball on my desk. "I'm just here to tell you, I gave it a thought, and I think you should represent our company," he says.

My eyes widen. "Are you serious?"

"Yes. Why not? I can't turn Nick down, so he's coming with you, too."

My excitement shrinks into a small ball. "So, you're not giving the project to me."

"It's better if you both represent us."