23- Nothing good happens after 2am

23 Nothing Good Happens After 2AM

Unknown faces in a bar make me want to do embarrassing things because we won't see each other again. My lemonade tastes fresh and sweet. The music is loud.

Zoey tosses a whole shot back and twitches her mouth from the bitter taste. Then again, she gets another one. Smith is enjoying his vodka, slowly sipping bit by bit.

I sway and move with the music, but since there's no alcohol, I can't seem to fade into the crowd. With a pat of my hand on Zoey's back, she goes for another shot. We cheer and click our glasses together, but then it becomes clear; She is not having fun. She simply wants to get drunk.

"Is everything okay, Zoey?" She can't hear me, so I move and talk closer to her ear. "Are you okay?"

She lifts her thumbs. "So okay," she shouts. "Let's dance." She takes my hand and drags me to the dance floor. I haul Smith with me. We stay close, and I bounce up and down, but Smith stands still.

"Come on," I shout to him. "You have a nice ass. Shake it."

He takes a sip of his drink. "Have you ever seen me dance?"

"The night we went to the male strip club?"

He freezes, and his eyes widen. "What about that night?"

"He doesn't remember," Zoey shouts to me in the middle of her moves.

"You don't remember?" I mouth, holding a grin, knowing he will understand me even though he can't hear me.

"What did I do?" He asks, panicked.

I wave my finger for him to make him get closer to me. When his ear is close to my mouth, "You were pant-less," I whisper, and he steps back, looking haunted. He drinks all of his glass and goes to get another one.

"Look at this gorgeous," Zoey says, pointing at a tall guy with a white shirt. His laugh is mesmerizing. "How deep do you think he can reach?"

"What?" I ask, not used to Zoey's naughty side.

"Is his dick as big as I think it is?"

"You're on your sixth shot. Your imagination is wild now. So no."

"There's only one way to find out," she says. I watch him walk away and want to follow her, but my phone rings in my pocket. It's an unknown number. I ignore it.

My phone shows midnight. Zoey is flirting with the guy already. I decide to leave her and find Smith. He is having another drink, far from the music.

"Hey." I put my hand on his shoulder. "Are you okay?"

"I remember now," he says, shaking his head.

"Good times."

"Yes. I had fun. Most fun since—since I lost everything."

"I'm sorry about that."

"I—" he looks into my eyes. "I do most nonsense stuff with you guys, and I have fun."

"Is it bothering you?"

"No, it's not... Everything has changed. You welcomed me to your home. And you've been the best person to me, and you've had my back." A smile appears on my lips. "But you were the last person I would turn to in my helpless days."

I can't seem to understand if he's glad or sad. "What's going on?" I ask.

"Where are the people I would turn to in my helpless days?" The pain in his eyes grows and reveals his broken heart. He and I both lost our jobs. But he has lost everything else as well; Fame, wealth, employees, friends, and trust.