41- Baby's on the way!

41 Baby's On the Way

Ian is driving fast to the hospital while I am gripping the door handle. Sharp contractions come and go. I try my best to contain my screams, but it's useless.

After arriving, Ian opens the door for me. I hold his hand and move inside the building. Zoey rushes to us and helps us get a room. She takes a few minutes to examine me.

"We might need to get ready for cesarean," Zoey finally says

"What?! Cesarean?! Now?!" I try to get up, but I can't move. "It's only on the twenty-seventh week!"

"There's nothing to worry about. The baby can't stay in the womb any longer. And you can't deliver the baby naturally."

"Is she fine?! Why now?!"

"Mia." She presses my hand. "Take a deep breath."

"Okay!" I do as she says.

"Annie," Zoey calls a nurse. "Please make sure the operating room is ready in case Mia has to go for a C-section." She approaches Ian. "Please be by her side."

"Of course I will," Ian says.

"I'll be back, alright?"

I nod, and she leaves us.

I try to breathe deeply, but the contractions make me lose my breath. My head is spinning, and I have sweated like hell.

"Is Dad here?" I ask Ian, and he keeps quiet. "He didn't come, did he?"

"Mom was on the floor," he says in an accusing tone, but I don't care about anything right now.

A hard contraction hits again. I wince in pain while holding Ian. He caresses my back with his other hand. Dizziness and nausea take over me. My stomach is about to explode, and it only worsens over time. Half an hour passes, and Zoey comes to check on me again.

"We need to go right now," she says.

"So, C-section?"

"Yes, don't worry." She holds my hand. "You're in safe hands."

No one is in the operating room to hold my hand anymore. The nurses inject something into me, and I start to feel numb. It is not what I expected. I hate unexpected situations. Yet this year, I've been surprised with lots of them. First, my promotion, then getting fired, moving in with my boss, becoming his close friend, and lastly, getting pregnant.

Getting pregnant was the most unexpected one. From the day I slept with a stranger to today. The baby's only twenty-seven weeks. The father of my kid is still unknown and—

"Dear God!" I say, and the nurse looks at me.

"Are you okay?" He asks. "Do you feel anything?"

"I'm so sorry. I'm alright."

"You sure?"

"... I... I haven't chosen a name!"

***

Ian smiles at me, opening the door of my room in the hospital.

"Hey," He says and sits by my bed, holding my hand.

A smile appears on my lips. Ian's presence makes me feel warm in my heart. He caresses my hand and then wipes my tears, which don't stop rolling down my face.

"You're a baby mama now!" Ian says and smiles weakly at me. I move my legs a little. There's a numbing sense that bothers me.

"The baby?" I say, trying to stay calm. "Is she...?"

"Baby's fine." He holds me still and moves my hair behind my ears. "It's all fine."

"They took her without letting me hold her."