25- The class next door

25 The Class Next Door

"Still mad?" Smith asks, passing the couch and sitting in front of me.

I shake the green juice I have in my hand while listening to music. "What?"

"Zoey," he reminds me.

"I'm... um... not okay with what happened that day."

He tosses an apple up and catches it. "What are you drinking?"

"It's good for the baby. I read it in a magazine."

He tosses the apple to me, and I fail to catch it. Shaking his head, "That's why we'll never be cool friends," he says.

"We won't be cool friends because we're extremely white. Also, I'm not a good catcher!"

"And you read magazines like it's 2000," he says and leaves the living room for the kitchen.

The doorbell rings later at night and makes me get out of bed. Isla's standing behind the door with chocolates in her hands.

"Let's suffocate ourselves," she offers and enters.

I take too long to join her. She sits on the couch. "What were you up to?"

"Nothing. I was—Erm..."

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah." I wipe my sweaty forehead.

Smith joins us, putting on his shoes. "Hey, Isla."

"Thanks for remembering my name," Isla says.

"You're welcome." He tosses the keys in his hand to Isla, and she catches them and looks at Smith. "See?" Smith says. "Even Isla can catch."

Isla frowns. "What do you mean 'even Isla'?"

"You know what I mean," Smith says. Suddenly, I feel everything in my gut coming up to my mouth. I run toward the bathroom and sit by the toilet, pouring my stomach out. "Mia?!" Smith runs to me and holds my hair up as Isla rubs my back.

"What on earth did you drink?" Isla asks.

I cough a few times. "It's supposed to work for the baby."

"You're not doing yourself any favor," Smith says.

"You need to see Zoey," Isla says.

"I need to see a gynecologist. I just need to find a new one," I say.

"You can visit mine. She's great. I'll set a date for you to meet her. And I'm taking you to a pregnancy class," Isla says.

"Pregnancy class?"

"Do you know anything about pregnancy?"

"I know how babies are made, and shamefully no storks are involved."

"Mia!"

"I'm joking! I'm reading books about it."

"What about after the baby comes?"

"I... I'll read about it too."

Isla signs me up for a pregnancy course, and we both go there for the first appointment. The class is filled with pregnant women, almost ready to give birth. Their baby bump is so huge. I want to cry that I'll look like that someday. Isla holds my hand and smiles at me, noticing my restless feelings.

"You're gonna be fine, honey," she tells me.

"I know. It's just a class."

"Mia?" the trainer calls me as she approaches me.