30- Number Five

30 Number Five

A refreshing breeze slightly calms my mind while sitting on a bench in the park. I feel like all of my muscles have drained. I haven't slept properly since the day I visited Bill. Someone sits next to me. I look at him and see his face while he keeps checking his phone.

"Jess. Oh, my God," I say, breathing deeply. I'm always on the edge since the accident with Bill.

"You look bad," he says after he looks at me.

"I am bad."

"You know Bill's in jail."

"I do."

"Then what's wrong with you?"

"What's wrong with me? Seriously? Let's see. I almost killed a man. That's what is wrong with me."

"Calm down. He's not dead."

"He's not dead, and he's in jail."

"Yes."

"For what crime?"

"Having child pornographic on his laptop."

"Did you do this?"

"He really had it on his laptop."

"Oh, my God. Oh, my God." I feel disgusted, and my stomach keeps twirling inside. "You did it, didn't you?"

"Don't you hear what I say?"

"I mean, you gave him in!"

"Of course I did. You gave me the laptop. You wanted it!"

"Idiot!"

His mouth widens. "Is that your way of thanking?"

"I told you to find something so I can hold it against him when he shows up! Not to fucking put him in jail!"

"Are you mad at me now? You're safe!"

"Safe?" I get up. "He knows he's in jail because of me! He'll probably find out who reported him. Why would you risk your own safety for me? I don't have any money to give you."

"Relax. You'll do favors as usual."

"You wouldn't get in so much trouble just for me to do you favors."

"What are you saying?"

"You found something too valuable on that laptop."

"Stay out of other people's business." He gets closer to me. "Stop putting yourself in fucking danger. I just got you out of trouble! Do you really wanna mess with someone like Bill again?"

I step back from him, his words shooting me in my chest. Someone like Bill. "You're like Bill?" I ask as my voice squeaks.

"Why is that a surprise to you? You know me." His tone is harsh and cold.

"Do I?" I say, and he says nothing. "What if he hurts you too after he gets out?"

"What if he does?" He laughs. "If I didn't know you any better, I'd say you care about me."

"This isn't a joke!"

"Fuck, Mia!" he shouts. "For once, try to appreciate that I saved your stupid life!"

I clench my jaw. "Thank you for saving my life," I say. "And not hurting me even though you could because you're like Bill, right?" He says nothing and only stares at me. I continue, "You would just corner me... and... and choke me to death? Just like him?"

He sighs. "That's not what I said."

"What did you say?"

"You know what I meant. I'm technically the same guy as him. I'm selfish, and I only want money. I don't care about anyone but myself. Get over it and stop trying to have a friendship with me."