39- Jon could be the one

39 Jon Could Be the One

"Reverse card? Come on! You can't give me a reverse card! I'm pregnant!" I say to Isla. Zoey laughs.

We are sitting in my living room, playing Uno. I haven't moved much ever since Zoey warned me about the baby. She grabs the card and gives it back to Isla.

"We don't have such a rule in Uno!" Isla says, frowning.

"Now we do," Zoey says.

"Ugh," Isla sighs and plays another card.

I play my turn and wait for Zoey. Zoey plays a card. "Have you found out who the father is?" she asks suddenly.

"What?!" I glance up from my cards to face her, stopping the game.

"The father of your kid?" she asks. "Now that you're close to giving birth any second?"

"What is this curiosity all of a sudden?"

"I just thought the baby should know about her dad."

"What if you didn't sleep with anyone that night?" Isla says.

I look at her, disappointed. "Hello?!" I point at my baby bump.

"I mean, did you sleep with anyone before that night?"

"Wh-What? No! I-I... No. I didn't."

"Okay. Someone's acting fishy," Zoey says.

"You're fishy!" I say.

"What are you trying to hide?"

"Nothing," I say, avoiding eye contact. Isla's phone rings, and she exits the room to take the call.

"I'm still waiting," Zoey says.

"Stop!" I say in a low tone so Isla doesn't hear.

"Come on. Tell me!" She pushes.

I look at the door to check if Isla's coming. "Okay. You can't mention this to her!" I say to Zoey.

"To Isla?" she asks.

"Yes!"

"Okay. Spill!"

"I... slept with Jon."

"What?!"

"Shh!"

"She doesn't know?" Zoey says, pointing at the door even though Isla's not there.

"She knows I slept with him after my party, not before it. You can't remind her of that! I was already pregnant. There's no way it's his kid!"

"What if you weren't pregnant when you hooked up with him?"

"I was already late and felt nausea."

"Pregnancy's not the only reason for being late and feeling sick." It feels like someone poured ice into my brain. Zoey senses my tension, so she reaches out. "Isn't it better?" she says. "Jon is the father!"

"Why is it better?! Better than what, exactly? And SHHHHH! He ain't the father! We used protection, okay?"

"We both know protections don't work one hundred percent of the time. Jon obviously has a thing for you. He shows up out of nowhere to see you. And he is always smiling while looking at you."

"He's married!"

"Who's married?" Isla asks, joining us.

I freeze for a few seconds. "No one," I blurt out.

"Jon," Zoey says, and I punch her arm. "Ouch! We were talking about him."

Isla stops for a few seconds and then sits on the floor. "Jon's not married."