35- Big Thick

35 Big Thick

We are sitting at a table at a coffee shop with Ian. I sip from my milkshake while thinking about the argument

with Smith weeks ago. I haven't seen him since then. He manages to avoid me at home.

"Aren't you supposed to eat healthily or something?" Ian asks.

"You know I'm not a cook," I say.

"You can skip the milkshake, though."

"Oh, please. It's milk that has been shaken."

"Very clever."

"The baby wants it!"

"I'm sure he does."

"He?" My brows furrow. "He?" My voice gets higher.

"Relax. I just said it figuratively. I didn't mean anything."

My phone rings and stops me from arguing. "Big Thick," I read the name on display and take it.

"Hello?" I say.

"Mia! Hi!"

"Hey! What's up?"

"It's you, right?"

I switch the phone to my left hand. "It is. What's going on?"

"Man, you have no idea. Hadn't saved yo' number. Had to go through my calls and search for it. Anyway, how you holding up? You okay?"

"My number hasn't changed, though. I'm fine, really, thanks." I lower my shoulders after my tension dissolves a little. "How are you? Is everything alright?"

"It ain't! Let's have that dinner we both had forgotten. You down?"

"Yeah. Sure. I gotta go to work now. If it's fine with you, you can meet me there."

"Cool. Text me the address."

"Alright." I hang up and continue drinking my milkshake.

"Big thick?"

"He's a former customer of mine."

"I don't judge."

"Not like that! I make videos for him."

"Still not judging."

"Not that kinda video!"

"Whatever you say."

***

I'm working at my tiny table in the hallway of Illusions when I see Gina standing above me.

"Yeah?"

"Mrs. Geller wants to see you."

"Okay."

I grab my phone and head to her office. Mrs. Geller is sitting on her chair and staring at her monitor as usual.

"You wanted to see me?" I ask.

"Yes. You're fired."

"What?"

"You heard me."

"Wait a second." I approach her desk. "I thought I passed your test a couple of weeks ago."

She faces me and looks me in the eye. "You think I'm an idiot?"

"What are you talking about?"

"If your water breaks in front of me, you'll still walk around like there's no baby inside you."

I say nothing, and she continues, "Seriously, when did you want to tell me? Or ask me for maternity leave? I gave you so many chances. But you fucked it up."