18- Dealing with the break up

18 Dealing with the Breakup

"Come on. You need to get your stuff from your house," I say to Smith after one week of staying in my home and not taking a goddamn shower.

He doesn't bother to face me while watching TV. "I don't have stuff. I'll buy new ones," he says. He has been sitting there for too long. I almost mistook him for the cushions. I'm worried about him. He has never been low. I'm not used to seeing him this defeated.

"You have stuff there, so you gotta get them back." I try to steady the dirty clothes in my hands.

"I said I don't have stuff."

"What about all the things in your house?"

"They took most of it."

"Still, there must be something left."

"It's—It's not... I don't want to—I don't want them."

I put the clothes aside and sit next to him on the couch. He scooches over and gives me a little space. "I understand you don't wanna be reminded of the unpleasant stuff that happened."

"It's not that," he says in a calm tone.

"Then what is it?"

"My house. I—" I wait for him to finish his sentence, and he takes his time. Moving a little on the couch, he fixes his position. "I couldn't get new loans because I already had loans on the house."

"So?"

"So... to take new loans, James suggested I put the house under someone else's name. And I only trusted him..."

I move my hands to cover my mouth and stop a big gasp. I thought Smith lost the house because of his bankruptcy, but he lost it to James.

"Son of a bitch!" I say. "You gave the house to him?"

"Yea..."

I can feel the twitch of disgust and anger in my stomach. The father of my child is a monster, and I have tried so hard not to think about it, but it has already haunted me.

"You should take it back!" I say with rage.

Smith shakes his head. "It's under his name."

"Can't you take the amount you've paid for the loan?"

"Everything about the house, including the loan, has been transferred to his name even though I paid it." Wow! That bastard has got everything planned.

"Your house is his now. But your stuff is yours," I state, which catches his attention. "I'm not letting that bitch steal your stuff."

He sighs. "I'm not facing him."

I put my hand on his shoulder. "You won't be alone." A smirk appears on my lips.

***

The front door of Smith's house looks enormous now that I'm nervous. I breathe deeply and crack my knuckles. "Let's do this."

"Is it a good idea?" Smith asks, furrowing his eyebrows.

"Hell yeah. It's your stuff."

"No. I mean, is it a good idea to bring Ron and Hermione here?" he says, referring to Isla and Zoey, who are by our side.

Isla looks unimpressed. "Hilarious," she says. "Cause I'm ginger and Zoey's brunette."

Zoey looks nervous. "We shouldn't do this. Let's leave before they see us."

"Everyone, calm down," I say. "We'll be just fine. We're here to get our stuff and leave immediately."

"Our stuff?" Smith says. "This is my house."