43- Halloween Baby Shower

43 Halloween Baby Shower

The nurse smiles at me as I nervously enter the room. It's been a week since my son was born, and I can finally meet him and hold his little hands while he's still on the ventilator. He looks too little and too fragile. I pat his hand and feel his warmth. Suddenly, the universe shrinks into this room, into this little machine. The wires connected to him. His feet.

I need to stay strong. I know my son will make it out of this. Yet my heart clenches. This situation isn't what I wanted for him. I hear a knock and turn around. Smith waves at me behind the window with flowers in his hands.

"How is he doing?" He asks me when I get out of the room. Few people dressed in costumes pass us as we walk.

"Better, I guess. Is it Halloween today?"

"Yes. Here." He hands me the flowers, and I smile. "Again, sorry for not coming here before."

"I forgive you."

"Do we finally get to meet him?"

"Unfortunately, no. How's work going?"

"Not bad." He moves something in front of me. It's a bag.

"What is this?" I ask. He waits for me to open it. There's an eyeliner inside the bag. A smile curves across my mouth, and I stare at him. "Really?" He smiles too, and I laugh. "It's a boy, you, idiot."

"I know. I had already bought the eyeliner before you gave birth. Also, buying a condom as a fun gift to your newborn baby seems inappropriate."

I hug him briefly. "Thank you."

"You're welcome."

"Now, come on. We should be at Isla's for the night if it's Halloween."

"The party?"

"Yes. The Halloween party."

"Are we doing that?"

"Honestly? I rather stay here with Christian."

"I hope you're kidding," Zoey says, approaching us.

"Hey!" I greet her, and she crosses her arms.

"We're going," Zoey says. "You can't do anything by standing here outside the room. Oliver, say something to her."

"I don't want to go either," Smith says.

"Are you serious?"

"Fine. I'll go!" I say, and she uncrosses her arms.

"Great! See you at night," she says.

I wave her goodbye. "See you, grumpy."

I hear a knock on the door of my room at the house when the clock shows 8.

"You dressed up?" Smith asks when I open the door.

"It's Halloween!" I give my fake mustache a touch and approach him. "Do I look like him?"

"Definitely! Let's go."

We arrive at the party and wait for Isla to open the door. Entering the house, I notice how quiet it is.

"Surprise!" says everyone, and the lights turn on.

"What?" I look at Isla. She is dressed as Cardi B. I hug her, and she squeezes me tightly. "What surprise?"

"We wanted to throw you a baby shower, but you gave birth early. Now we threw you a Halloween baby shower!"

I look at Smith. "You knew about this?"

"Of course I did," he says.

"Then why aren't you dressed up?"

"I am." He puts his mask on. "I'm Michael Myers."