8- Careful what you wish for

8 Careful What You Wish For

My reflection in the mirror is judging me. I don't blame it. I'm trying to digest what is happening. It has been weeks since the party, and I'm throwing up in my bathroom.

"Hey, you okay?" someone asked me at the party.

"Leave me alone." I pulled my hand away and finally found my room.

The music decreased a lot with the closed door. My lipstick was wiped-out. I sat in front of my mirror and picked up the same red lipstick. The music got louder again. The door was open. In the weak light piercing through the half open door, I saw a guy enter and close the door.

"Hey," Isla says in my face. I pull myself together, zoning out the forgotten memories that only now are coming back to me. The coffee spills on the table. Grabbing some tissues, I try to wipe the mess, but it worsens.

"What's going on with you?" Isla asks as she cleans up my mess for me.

"I'm late," I say in a low tone, not meeting her eyes.

"Well, see a doctor then."

I shake my head. "I could be pregnant, and it doesn't even cross your mind!"

Her eyes widen. She puts the tissues on the table. "Y-Y-You what?"

I cover my face with my hands. Isla reaches out and pulls them away. "When?! Who?!"

"I don't remember! It only came back to me this morning as some hallucination after I threw up!"

"You didn't sleep with anyone! If you had, I would be the first to know! You're just stressed. See a doctor."

"Okay. Yeah. Sure. You're probably right."

She pats my arm, smiling at me, and I breathe deeply.

At night, I lie on my bed and try hard to sleep. My mind is racing with all the work I have to finish. The memories of my promotion party are a blur. My eyes finally feel heavy, and I close them.

He enters my room, and I turn around while sitting on the backless chair. "Get out! The party's outside!" I shout.

I wake up suddenly. My whole body is in a cold sweat. Why don't I remember everything fully? My subconscious is tricking me.

The next day, Smith stands in the middle of the conference room. We're having a meeting.

"A new guy's joining your team," Smith says.

Everyone starts whispering, but Smith's attention is on me.

"Mia?" he says lowly.

I shake my head to zone out of my thoughts. "Yes?"

"Are you alright?"

"I'm sorry. I feel a little ill."

"You can rest in your office."

"Thank you." I dismiss myself and leave. An elderly man greets me.

"Mia?" He asks, and I nod.

I look closely at him. "I'm sorry. Do I know you?"

"He's the new guy," Sara says, giving me eyebrows.

"Oh!" My reaction is odd. "Um... Can I—help with anything?"

"I can show him his desk," Emily says, saving me from the awkward moment, and I mouth a thank you as she guides the man to his desk.

"What the hell is Smith thinking, hiring an old man?" Sara says to me.

"I have no idea."

"You gotta talk to him."

I knock on the door of Smith's office. After hearing his allowance, I enter and sit in a chair. "What is it?" He asks, waiting for me to complain about something.