38- Blood

38 Blood

Zoey's looking at the ultrasound monitor as I stare at the blood between my legs. We are at the hospital now. It is not happening. Is the baby dead? I hurt her by stressing myself with work. What kind of mother am I? God, how did I let this happen? She's-is she?

"The baby's fine!" Zoey says.

I breathe deeply, throwing my head back. It lasts a lot longer to come back to reality. My tears roll down my cheeks, and my breath intensifies.

"It's fine, Mia!" Zoey says again.

She holds my hand, and I can't help but sob in the ugliest shape I ever can. The door opens and stops Zoey from hugging me. Smith looks at me, and his face suddenly falls, getting all white. Zoey notices him and speaks before he misunderstands.

"The baby's fine!" She says to Smith, and he looks a little less mortified.

"Are you serious?" he says.

"Yes! It's fine. Nothing's happened."

"Oh, God!" He closes his eyes, letting a long breath out. "Fuck!"

"She's fine, Oliver. Do you want to take a seat?"

He runs his hand through his hair. "Why is Mia crying then?"

"Shh." Zoey rubs my hands and patiently waits for me to calm down as she mouths to Smith to stay quiet.

After a few minutes of comforting me, Zoey gives me a tight squeeze on my hand. I find myself staring at my baby bump as my tears stop falling.

"Thank you," I say, breathing deeply to calm my nerves. "I lost it for a few minutes. I'm sorry."

"Honey, it's okay. I can only imagine what it felt like for you. You must be more careful. Take maternity leave if you have to. It is serious. If you bleed again, I can't guarantee the baby will be fine."

I nod and hold my belly. Suddenly, I become aware of Smith's existence. He helps me get off the bed, holding onto me tightly. We sit in the car. He has let go of my arm but is still tightly pressing his fist. After the ride home, he helps me get into my bed and fixes my posture. We don't talk. He then moves toward the door.

"Call me if you need anything?" He asks, and I nod shortly. "I'm in the living room," he informs me. After thirty minutes or so, he opens the door of my room again. "Are you okay?"

"Yes," I say while holding my belly.

"You need anything?"

"No."

He enters the room and approaches me. "You need to fix the pillows?" He asks, reaching my back.

I grab his arm and look at him. "You don't have to take care of me."

"I know."

"You don't have to feel guilty either. It wasn't your fault."

His eyes look sad. He doesn't believe it.

"Zoey had already warned me," I add. "I knew my baby was sensitive. I should have been more in control of my emotions."

"I'm sorry."

Isla suddenly steps inside. "Mia?" She says, approaching me, and my eyes fill with tears. "What happened?" She sits on my bed and hugs me.

"Isla!" Smith scowls at her.

"Did you believe I'd stay in the living room 'cause you asked me to?" She says, rolling her eyes at him. She pulls away from me. "We won't stay for long. I know she needs rest."