31 - Smile at Gina

31 Smile at Gina

Opening the first drawer, I try to look for my eyeliner. I haven't been able to afford a new one. The payments for the music video went for the rent and all other things I owed others. I call Ashley without thinking about the consequences.

"Hey, Mia," she greets me on the phone.

"Hey, Ashley. Sorry to bother you."

"It's okay. Is there something wrong?"

"No. Actually, yes. I wanted to ask you if you know anyone who needs a job. I'm a little struggling here."

"I'll text you a number. Call and ask for Mr. Bieber. Make an appointment."

"Really? Oh, my God. You're such a doll. Thank you!"

"You're welcome. Gotta go. Bye."

Before my mind can complain or process it, I dial the number. Oh, God. What if he wants someone to fuck or do some weird shit with?

"Illusions, Gina speaking." A woman's voice greets me, and I panic. "Hello?"

"Hello! Hi!" I blurt out.

"Hey. How may I help you?"

"Um... I think I dialed the wrong number."

"This is Illusions."

"Okay. Is there a man called Bieber?"

"Bieber? Like Justin Bieber?"

"I guess there isn't then."

"No. There isn't."

"I'm sorry to bother you. Someone gave me this number, saying I can find a job there."

"We are hiring right now."

"Oh? You are?"

"Yes."

"What company is that?"

"We're a small studio. Currently hiring an animator."

"Oh, my God! Really?"

"Yes. Would you like to apply?"

"I would love to! Could you please let me write down the address?"

I immediately get ready and head to the company's address. The company looks nice and clean. It's small compared to Whoosh, but I don't care.

"Hey, Miss?" The kind lady says as I approach her desk. It must be Gina.

"Collins," I introduce myself, holding my purse closer to myself. "Mia Collins."

"Okay. You have to wait until it's your turn."

I smile at her. "Alright. I'll be right here."

I see a woman coming out of the room with a scowl. Her heels click on the tiles harshly. She sees Gina sitting behind her desk and changes her direction toward her.

"Ms. Rosewood—" Gina says.

The woman lifts her finger and points at her angrily. "Don't!" She spits her words. She trembles with anger.

Gina looks shocked. "What—"

"I'm an educated, skilled, and experienced woman," the woman says. "I had to sit there and listen to her telling me I'm not good enough?"

Gina gulps hard. "I'm sure Mrs. Geller didn't mean to disrespect you—"

"She told me she can tell how visionless I am from the ugly purse I carry!" She says, her voice getting louder. Everyone looks at her. Security starts to walk toward her, and she notices. Fixing her skirt and hair, she walks away, her steps still heavy.