7- The Hot Stranger

7 The Hot Stranger

"You have to throw a party," Isla begs with puppy eyes.

I roll my eyes, unpacking a box. "After Smith's party, I don't think I'll ever party," I say, grabbing my books from the packages.

"It's been seven months since you got promoted to manager, and you have a new house now. The party will be awesome. You don't have a tub. So no one will finger you."

"We can't guarantee that!"

"True."

"I don't think people will come to this party," I say, then get other books out of the box. "They don't like me, Isla."

"I wonder why?"

"Excuse me?"

"You hate people."

"I do, but I'm not rude to them."

"You never say hi to others."

"I don't have to."

"You always say you wanna punch people."

"But how many times have I done it? Three! That's basically nothing."

"You avoid shaking hands with the excuse of being a germaphobe."

"I don't like touching people."

"I'm your only friend, Mia."

"That's not true!"

"Name one of your other friends."

"I have—Err—Jess."

"Jess? The guy who makes you do stupid things for him as a favor?"

"That's what friends are for! They do stupid things."

She sighs. "Throw the party. For God's sake, you've been working at Whoosh for years. You have to make some friends there. I'll make sure everyone comes. We only need three things," she says as she pulls the accessories out of another box.

I put my books on the shelves. "I told you I don't have a dick!"

"I meant your boobs plus alcohol. But it would help if you did have a dick."

"Do you girls want a crazy night to happen?" I ask as I look at my breasts.

"Yes, mommy. Give us some Daddy," Isla says in a baby voice. It disgusts me.

"Never do that again!"

Isla sets her words in stone, and the party happens a month after I settle in my new house.

The music is so loud. I'm not used to it very much. My hair is wavy and loose. I'm wearing a red cocktail dress. Everything is ready. Food. Music. Alcohol. I look at my boobs. The girls are ready too. The clock hands are showing 7:10, and no one is here yet.

I'm standing in the kitchen, holding an untouched cup of wine. "I'm so stressed, I couldn't wear panties," I say. "Nobody's going to come."

Isla's already filling her second cup. "It's just seven. You never party, do you?"

Our coworkers enter my house one by one. Miguel has a girl by his side.

"She's pretty. Your girlfriend?" I ask as she walks away to get a drink.

"Not really," he says. It's very typical of Miguel.

My party is not a disaster after all. Emily shows up in a beautiful dress. I say hi to her and compliment her looks.

The guests grab a drink and start to talk. My friends and people I don't even know have come. It gets crowded. After getting a drink, I greet everyone and make small talk with them. Everyone looks to be having fun. A few drinks relax the crowd, and the heavy atmosphere breaks down. While I'm talking to a group of friends, a new face catches my attention. He lifts his drink, and my smile widens in response.