32- Old scars

32 Old Scars

"You can't sit there. You're distracting me," Mrs. Geller says as she watches me sit by her desk.

"Excuse me. Is there a room assigned to me?" I ask.

"No."

"Then maybe I should sit on the floor. But that's more distracting."

She raises an eyebrow. "Get your stuff out of this room. There are plenty of rooms out there."

"Filled with people who do not share the same job as me."

"Share Gina's space. I don't care. Get out."

I grab my stuff and head out of the office. Gina's desk is full of papers and files.

"Ms. Collins?" She says when I stand by her side for too long. "How may I help you?"

"I need a desk," I say, holding my laptop tightly.

"But we can't—"

"I know your desk is full. I need another desk, maybe a little one."

She helps me find a small desk, and I put it in the middle of the hallway. I've already started working on the project. Gina's looking down at me. "Are you sure?" She asks when someone passes me and stares at me.

"I'm already settled, Gina. Don't worry." I continue working with the laptop. By the time I finish, it's already five pm, and I gather my stuff to leave.

"Don't tell me you're leaving at five like an unprofessional," Mrs. Geller's voice comes from behind me. I turn around and look at her. She's looking at me from above her glasses while her hands are on her hips.

Moving my purse on my shoulder, "Aren't we done by five?" I ask.

"Yes, and then you can never come back here again."

I stop myself from rolling my eyes. "I'm sorry. Let's work on whatever there is."

She walks to her office, and I follow her instinctively. "Watch this," she asks me, and I move behind her desk. There's a video, but it ends halfway, and she stares at me.

"Okay?" I say.

"Make the rest of the video," she says.

"Rest of it?"

"Mia," she raises an eyebrow. "I need this done by the weekend." She grabs her stuff and leaves. It is something I've never done.

When I get home, it's too late. I open the door silently so I don't wake Smith up.

"Birds are chirping!" Says Smith, standing in the darkness of the living room, and I jump backward.

"What the fuck?!" I say, holding my belly. "You're taking this Batman shit too seriously. Stop lurking around in the dark."

"Ten fucking pm!"

"Where are your manners? You never curse!"

"I do now!"

"I'm pregnant, for the love of God!"

"You won't be if you keep coming home at this hour!"

"Can you turn the lights on first? I think my baby just hid somewhere after that shout of yours."

I hear a click, and there he stands with a frown. "You, idiot," he says.

"I don't like this new Oliver. He's being mean to me again like he used to be," I say, and he crosses his arm. "I was at work!"

"I don't care! Come home sooner!"

"Okay."

"Have you eaten?"