37- Big Mouth

37 Big Mouth

I haven't seen Ian since the argument about my pregnancy, but my focus is on my work now. At least, I think it is.

"This is stupid," Isla says, holding the camera. The sun disturbs her eyes. Big Thick is standing a couple of feet away while Isla shoots him.

I move my hands on my hips. "What?"

"Big Thick, say something," she says, waiting for him to talk.

He moves to his manager and grabs a drink from his hands. "I don't know, Mia. I think the same," he says.

"Oh, come on!" I stomp my foot on the floor like a toddler.

"You're the animator, Mia. We need a brain of a director," Isla says.

"I don't think the directors of Whoosh would like to help," I comment.

My phone rings with a unique ring. It's the anti-robbery alarm.

"Oh, my God," I say.

"What? What happened?" Isla asks.

"Someone's broken into my house!" I say. "I need a ride home!"

"Okay, okay! I'll get you there," she says, rushing to her car.

"I'm coming with you guys," Big Thick says.

"You're not," his manager orders. "You have an appointment, remember?"

"Oh, right. I've already talked to them. You can go instead of me. I'm sure they won't need me."

We get to the apartment, and I rush inside. Smith is standing in the middle of the living room.

"It was you?!" I ask, my heart pumping heavily. I sigh deeply and try to calm myself while my hand is on my belly.

"You set the alarm?" he asks.

"You would know if you picked up your damn phone."

"I was busy."

"Alright. That's it. We need to talk if you can listen to me for five seconds," I say and get closer to Smith.

"Go ahead," he says.

"I'm sorry I overstepped your boundaries. You were right. I involved myself too deeply. I'll never do that again. Will you forgive me and move on?"

"I-I'm not mad at you."

"I don't know what you are at me, and approaching you to get answers is obviously backfiring. Just understand how desperately I try to fix stuff, and please move on. Can you do that?"

"Alright." He uncrosses his arms. "Okay."

"Good."

"Your birth year is not a good password for the alarm."

"I chose something that your brain could think of."

"Are you—? Am I that stupid to you?"

"I have things to do if you'll excuse me," I say and turn around. Big Thick is standing awkwardly in the middle of my house.

"We can continue if you're still available," I say.

"Yeah, I can make time," Big Thick says.

"Good. Let's go now."

"Isn't Smith a talented director?" Big Thick asks, and I stop in my tracks.

"What?" I ask.

"Smith can come up with good ideas. I'm sure."

"I don't know. You're free to ask him."

"I'm right here, you know," Smith says and approaches us.

"What do you say to this?" Big Thick asks him.