24- The Big Misunderstanding

24 The Big Misunderstanding

A flash drive is on the desk right in front of my face, which reminds me of the flash drive. Smith hasn't shown up all day. I grab my keys and exit the house to go and meet Ashley, Jordan's manager. She shakes my hand and sits on a chair at the restaurant.

"We loved working with you the last time," she says with a smile. "Jordan was very happy with the result. I'm sure you understand why he can't show up at every meeting we have."

"Yes. I do," I say. "It's completely okay."

"I'd like you to work with us again. Maybe this time on something huger. What do you say?"

"I'd say I would love to! What is this huger thing?"

"I'm thinking about Jordan's next lyrical music video. It'll be something simple but neat and good."

"That would be great! I'm so glad you asked me this."

"But there's a contract we need to sign and some paperwork. We'll talk about the schedule and everything. I'm free on Saturday night at seven. Is that okay with you?"

"Yes! Of course, that's okay with me."

"Alright then. I have to be somewhere else right now." She gets up. "Have a lovely day."

I get up with her. "You too!" and she leaves.

I arrive home and sit on the couch while the flash drive is in my hand. It's eating me alive. The doorbell rings, and I run toward the door.

"Oliver?"

"Mrs. Collins?" A man says in uniform.

"Yes?"

"Are you Mia Collins?"

"Yes. How may I help you?"

He shows his badge. "NYPD. You to come with me."

Oh crap. "Why?" I ask, my voice shaking.

"There's been a complaint against you. You have to come with me." He cuffs my hands. "You know James Williams?"

"Yes?"

"He has filed a lawsuit against you."

"For what?"

"Crashing his car."

"Crashing what?!"

He puts me in the car. "We'll talk about it when we get to the precinct."

We arrive at the precinct. The same cop is behind his desk, and I sit in front of it. "I came home at 2 pm and haven't left since," I say.

"And where were you before that?" he asks in an accusing tone.

"I-I got coffee with a client at a cafe. You can ask the manager there. They'll give you the camera footage."

"Who did you get a coffee with?"

I want to say Ashley Turner, but I don't want to lose the job I got from her. "It was a client. I'd rather not bring their name into this since they value their privacy."

"No alibis makes it hard."

"But it wasn't me. I don't even know what car he drives. You can't arrest me without any proof."

"We have the video of you threatening Mr. Williams at his office with a knife."

"Th-That's..." I suddenly lose the ability to form a sentence. I knew that goddamn camera at Smith's office would be my end.

"We have to check a few things. Before anyone testifies for you," the detective says. "You need to stay in the cell."

"You're joking."