Locomotive

CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE

By the time that the plane landed in Italy , cherries earlier high and impulsiveness had quickly worn off only to replaced by a feeling of hollow emptiness . Barely managing to keep a small smile on her face as she handed the baby back to the rushed mother , only nodding her head in understanding as she rushed off a dozen 'thank yous' to her before dashing away .

Looking in front of her and clutching her carry on bag in her hands as she silently watched on as their group all happily pushed themselves through the isle , eager to get their feet on land again as they loudly talked between each other . Cherrie being the only one to remain quite as she tried to silently push down the rising ache that she could feel building in her chest , brows furrowed as she wondered why she couldn't just let herself be in the moment .

Why she couldn't let herself smile with feeling or laugh without the ache growing deeper , throats muscles contracting as she tried to shove down the hard lump slowly crawling up her throat .

Feeling a familiar curtain of frustrating exhaustion creep over her body , head feeling like it was being weighed down , brick by brick , each blink of her eyes only making them strain more as she squinted against the harsh sunlight as it finally came to her turn to get off the plane . Barely glancing at anyone around her as she clutched tightly to the bag in her hands , breathing in through her nose as she tried to calm herself down again. Frustrated and angry at herself for feeling this way.

So sick of feeling normal one moment and then suddenly seeing red the next.

She understood then that even though it must have been so hard for her own friends to be around her when she got like this , that it was even harder to just be it .

She may have been hard to deal with but it was even harder living with herself . She just wanted it to stop.

Feeling a heavy numbness settle over her aching bones as she slid the sunglasses down from her head , clumsily resting them on her nose as she tried to focus on each step in front of her. Inhaling sharply as she heard the sweet giggle of Lacy as she clung onto duffs arm, her bassist laughing and leaning down to tell her some joke.

Having no idea of just how much his honest words had wrecked her. How his bluntness had ripped through the hard layered mask that she had spent so long building , tearing through each layer till she felt the tip of the knife graze her skin. Piercing her further and deeper with each step that she took , each breath more painful than the last.

Barely managing to keep her lips from trembling as she felt a shadow step up beside her , silently walking in sync with her for a while as they all ambled over to the baggage area to collect their suitcases.