Chapter 4: Melody

Canton drove his black car into the driveway of Graystark Hall as a storm rage over head. The Hall was one of the many orphanages the Doctor sent them to. The Time Lord had decided that the institutes for children were the best place to discover where the little girl originated from. As well as a possibility of saving said girl.

The other two within the car was Amy, who sat in the front, and Wanda, sitting in the backseat. Both women wore professional suits, close to the style of Canton's. Though, while Amy wore a women's suit, the Time Lady in the backseat stuck with wearing a men's suit. She found it much more comfortable than a silly skirt.

Wanda stared out in amazement with her hand pressed against the window of the backseat as they reached their destination. Amy glanced back to see the odd behavior of Wanda.

"What's wrong? Is it the Silence?" Amy asked worriedly. Canton glanced back as he put the car in park by the entrance of the Hall.

"No," answered Wanda, continuing to stare out to the trickling water on the window.

"Then, what's the matter?" asked Canton.

"It's raining. I've never seen rain before, except for one other time with the Doctor. But I didn't get a chance to really observe and study it then," explained Wanda. She rolled down her window some, letting the rain fall on her hand. She pulled the hand back in, rolling the window up once more. She stare the water droplets pooled in her palm in wonder.

"You've never seen rain before?" Amy questioned in bewilderment.

"Never. My universe never had rain. At least, not in the village. Never been outside that, so I can't say about the rest of the world," Wanda explained. She sniffed at the water curiously wondering if it somehow smelled different from normal water. She found a distinct aroma of flowers and pine trees.

"You're village must have been a desert, then," remarked Canton. Wanda wiped the water from her hand onto her suit pants.

"Not at all. We had a very lush forest that surrounded the entire village," said Wanda. She opened the car door, stepping out into the rain. "Come on, we better go."

As they walked up to the Hall, with Canton and Amy rushing forward to get out of the rain quickly before their clothes were soaked. Wanda, on the other hand, went at a slower pace, simply enjoying the feeling of the rain on her. She came up beside them and shook out her hair, tapping her combat boots against the door frame to get any mud off.

"Why are you wearing your boots again?" Amy whispered in Wanda's ear as Canton knocked on the door.

"They're comfy," replied Wanda.

"A man's suit isn't exactly a woman's style for '69, either," remarked Amy.

"I'm starting a new trend," Wanda stated with a grin. Amy only shook her head amusingly as the door opened.

A man, Dr. Renfrew, stared at them with unease in his eyes. Wanda could see that how something was quite off with the man. His eyes kept twitching slightly and stuttered some as he talked. He looked very unwell, constantly placing a handkerchief to his mouth very few moments as though he were going to be sick.

"Hello?" Dr. Renfrew asked them carefully.

"FBI," Canton stated curtly after flashing his ID to the man. "You must be Dr. Renfrew. Can we come in?"

"The children are asleep," the man told them, looking uncertain by talking to them.

"We'll be very quiet," Amy told the man.

"You won't even hear a peep out of us," Wanda added, giving the man a kind smile.

"Is there a problem?" Dr. Renfrew questioned them, shifting on his feet with unease.